Is it the fuel pump?

topkicke8

Cadet
I have a 1976,55hp Johnson outboard. After i pump the fuel bulb and hit the starter my motor kicks right over. However after about 2 to 3 mins. the motor starts to die. If i pump the fuel bulb it will pick back up, and after a couple of mins it dies again. Does this sound like a fuel pump problem? Also would this pump take a Sierra 18-7820 rebuild kit. Thanks for any help.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Is it the fuel pump?

Possibly, it can also be from an air leak in the fuel line, so check for leaks first. There are O-rings in the connectors on the fuel line, they may need to be replaced.

topkicke8

Cadet

I replaced fuel line between the tank and the connector on the motor and checked the vent hose. Did I miss anything you can think of ? Thanks Bill

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

18-7820 is the listed aftermarket kit; OE is 393103.

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

I was having the same problem. Turns out it was the float, needle valve and seat. Sounds like you may have something in the carb.

topkicke8

Cadet

I purchased the rebuild kit 18-7820,and all of the gaskets fit, however the diaphragm is different. The one in the kit is just a rubber shaped gasket looking thing and the one in my pump has a area that flexes and has a round plastic dish like disc that the spring fits up against. I did find a number on the side of the pump 385781, but I can't find a rebuild kit for that number. Can anyone help me? Motor is a 76 Johnson 55Hp 55EL76E.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Attachments

• fuel_pump_rebuild_4[1].jpg
    fuel_pump_rebuild_4[1].jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
  • fuel_pump_rebuild_5[1].jpg
    fuel_pump_rebuild_5[1].jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 0

jsb5717

Cadet

Could be several things: Sticky needle valve, bad fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, poor fuel connection...

My 79 15 horse was doing the very same thing. I assumed fuel pump. But I took it apart and found it intact. I cleaned it well. I removed the little metal mesh screen filter and cleaned it very well. I put it all back together and it works fine.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There should be a new diaphragm support in the kit. Don't let the stem thing on one side of it fool you. Snip that off. It is called the "gate" by injection molding people. They trim it off for you---unless the customer (Sierra) is too cheap to pay them to do it.