Quick ones from a newbie

Redbird1

Cadet
Ok, I got it to run right, it's a 115hp in line 6 1978 merc. if you are in back of the motor there is a small hose sticking down and out of the right side. is that supposed to spray water out of it when you are running along? or is that a bad thing. I'd like to know what that really is.
Second, twards the top of the driveshaft exhaust tube section there are 2 square holes in the back (lower case not the gearcase) do these serve a purpose?
Starting, I read that they start hard when cold, the correct way is to give it full throttle-up/warm -up with the choke on until it starts? or is there a better method? it seems like it cranks for a good 90 + seconds and then some before it speesd up and wants to go, I am wongering if I am doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Dave

hl

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Quick ones from a newbie

This is called a pee hole. This is normal. As far as cranking, that is the way I do mine

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Dave, The proper name is the telltale. The telltale sprays water whenever the motor is running. Those square holes are exhaust relief for when the motor is running in neutral in the water. They will spit water as well.

The proper cold starting method is to pump the primer bulb until firm. Now lift the cold start lever (on the MerControl), up all the way. Hold down the choke button and crank the motor. After it starts, release the choke button. You may need to tap the choke button a time or two, until the motor is warm. They usually do not need choke after ititial starting for the day.

BTW - that motor has no thermostat. If you do not know the last time the waterpump impeller was changed, it is a good time to do it.

Redbird1

Cadet

Chris, Thnk you for that, your help has been invalueable to me as well as many others - thank you for taking the time. The impeller is brandy new as is the rest of the water pump assembly. I had an initial issue with fuel and dirty carbs, I have that sorted through and she ran fine last time out (for a change) I am really just uninformed for themost part on the "quirks" of these things
Dave