Another 1960 40HP question

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice
Was having trouble at WOT, would die out. Place I bought it from said probably the fuel pump and changed it. Same thing. Pulled the bowl off the carb to see an old float, flaking the coating off it. Read that super glue or tank seal will coat ok until the new one comes. Coated it and put it back together. Cleaned everything in the high speed jet. Questioning no kind of spring on the needle valve? Most I've ever worked on had one. Have seen a few smaller HP motors without on just sat on the float arm. Now the gas runs out of the carb when I pump the bulb...:mad:

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Another 1960 40HP question

Nope, no spring, just sits on the float arm. Does have a tiny little wire that holds needle to the arm.

Either the needle is worn and not seating, or the float needs adjusting.

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, will pull the bowl off it again and check the adjustment.
Was no wire on the needle when I pulled it out.

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Adjusted the float, still doing the same.
For sale one 1960 evinrude lark II 40HP, what I paid for it.
To much but come on there has to another sucker besides me.....

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Adjusted the float, still doing the same.
For sale one 1960 evinrude lark II 40HP, what I paid for it.
To much but come on there has to another sucker besides me.....

Nope. Too far from me. Did you check to see if the float actually "floats" in gasoline? You said you coated it with something.....those floats actually are designed to weigh a certain amount. They can't do their thing if they are sink.

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Going to pull it apart again tomorrow. Ordering the float and needle and seat, I guess 30.00 in parts isn't to much to invest in a good running motor. Plus I've worked dang hard to finally get this thing!!
Picture004.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Going to pull it apart again tomorrow. Ordering the float and needle and seat, I guess 30.00 in parts isn't to much to invest in a good running motor. Plus I've worked dang hard to finally get this thing!!
Picture004.jpg

My record for re-cleaning a carb is 6 times in a row. :( You're not there yet!

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

LOL thanks TX, I guess these old beauties are alot like 50 year old women. Need a bunch of maintenance....Going to pull it apart now.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you don't have one, and want one, I have a service manual for that motor that i will send you if you send me a Private message with your private email address attached.

:D

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks PM sent.
After further checking, pulled the bowl and full of crap again. Either the reserve can I have for gas has got crap in it or the last batch of gas I got to fill the tank. I put an inline filter in the hose from tank to motor. Going to clean the tank out and start fresh. Float is floating but low, I guess the super glue trick isn't a good idea. Hope the parts get here by Wed. for a trip I had planed.....Someone remind me why???

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Cleaned the entire fuel system. Still waiting for the float and needle and seat. I hate waiting!!
Question: I put an inline filter between the bulb and motor. Good Idea or bad? Just don't want to go through this crap again.

Upstatehunter

Seaman Apprentice

Got the parts today. Installed them and she purs like a kitten again. Still running rich at idle. A lot of oil in the can. But ran a good dose of stabil marine through it.
Filter doesn't seem to effect how it runs so may not have this problem again. At least not as bad...

Force 120

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 1960 40 HP Johnson RS-22. It runs low speed beautifully but will not run at high speed. I am still working on it.

jepstr67

Cadet

This is kind of a thread Hijack, but a question about the same motor. That is the first year of the automatic choke. Did those always work well? Could the malfunctioning choke partly close and cause the motor to flood and die? Too much gas is just as bad as too little. Sometimes motors can behave like they are starving for gas when they are really drowning in it.

Here's the "Hijack" Any thoughts on automatic vs Solenoid choke? Personally I never had any problems with the choke button and would rather they had left it be.

To test my theory and rule out the choke......start the motor and once it is warm, move the choke lever to the OFF position rather than automatic.