1999 Johnson 115 thermostat install problem

Albert B

Recruit
hi. i just bought a used 1999 Johnson 115hp motor and am replacing the thermostat. i can not recall the order in which it is installed. please help

i included a pic of the kit

Attachments

• GLM-13330_lg.jpg
    GLM-13330_lg.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 1

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1999 Johnson 115 thermostat install problem

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Therm.jpg
    Therm.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 2

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

hi. i just bought a used 1999 Johnson 115hp motor and am replacing the thermostat. i can not recall the order in which it is installed. please help

i included a pic of the kit

it might be easier with the motor tilted, because sometimes the thermostats doesnt want to stay put while you put the spring in afterit and try to screw the outer housing on...

tilting may help....

the spring pressure also makes a seal by forcing the t-stat against the rubber seal inside the head...

kinda important...

not not use sealant on the plastic out hosuing-nut!!!!!!!!!!

I just bought two used heads like yours and the previous owner sealed them

I totally destroyed the hosuing trying to get it unscrewed!!!

good thing the head was off the motor, because I had to put it in a milling machine and machine out the left over housing!!!!! it came out one little piece at a time...would have been a total nightmare on the block!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

they use an o-ring... its all you need...I have removed my t-sat housings dozens of times troubleshooting my cooling issues...no leaks

good luck

bob

Albert B

Recruit

thank you so much. this was a huge help. i am a new owner and trying to fix as much as i can on my own.

Albert B

Recruit

i spent all day trying to find a diagram like that. may i ask where you were able to get it from?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

i spent all day trying to find a diagram like that. may i ask where you were able to get it from?

there are a few sites,

shop.evinrude.com is the main one...but it isnt as easy to navigate as some others

I personally like boats.net...

because the pictures is full page.. and you can see more parts at one time...the other site has the exact same info...it is just more of a head ache looking around

here...pick your motor maker on the left side, and you are on your way
http://www.boats.net/

but remember to try and shop at Iboats as much as you can,...they give us this great forum

bob