new impeller installed no water circulation

macfatty

Cadet
yamaha 4.3 stern drive. replaced impeller and back flushed all hoses. no water being sucked upto the impeller threw foot.can put water directly to the inhose to impeller and fine just wont pullup from foot on the muffs. can put water back threw the transom and it will flow straight out foot. any help.

1991 cobia monte carlo 4.3 yamaha i/o

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: new impeller installed no water circulation

I can only speculate, since I have a Mercruiser...but, the Mercruiser's have a flat spot on the impeller shaft that takes a key to engage the rubber impeller. If we forget this 'key', the impeller will just sit there...and never spin.

Could you have a missing 'key'?

At worst...this is a free 'bump'!

Happy boating1

striker911

Cadet

I have the same problem on my motor. I have a 74 Chrysler 105hp OB. Sorry OP but since this is the same problem I would like to tag along and maybe I can help also. Can the impeller be upside down or turned in the wrong direction? maybe I put the metal gasket in upside down? In my installation instructions it said to turn the imp counter clockwise and I did so. I also made sure that the pin was in and it locked and slid over it. Cant tell 100% since you cant see it after you put the housing over it.

I seemed to get some water out of the exhaust but not out of the top where the motor sits. It was only smoking so did I screw something up? I only ran the motor for like a minute cause it was hard to keep running and I didnt have time to get to the back and see that hardly no water was coming out. Does the system need to be "primed" somehow? if so how do I do that? I only hooked the muffs up and turned the water on, then started it up. The reason it was hard to start was that it sat since 1996 cause the boat needed stringers and a transom. So I bought it and used another boat that only needed a transom. Well the transom is done and I am stuck with this cooling problem.

This is my first boat and I know nothing about them but how to drive them, but I have done all the work so far by myself with help from google and this forum. I will be pulling the thing back apart in like 8 hours though since I might have burnt the new imp. Maybe I will find the problem myself. One other thing on mine is that threads where pulled out of one of the four bolt holes (for the housing) so I just left it alone with no bolt in it since it seemed tight anyways. Guys. Any help would be great. Thanks.

striker911

Cadet

Nothing huh? Well I took the t-stat out and I get some water out of the top and its pretty warm/hot. On the top it has two holes for water to exit and the water is still not shooting out, and is only coming out of one of the holes leading me to think that the pressure is low. I wish someone would help. Maybe I need to move this to the Chrysler section?

chrysler1055

Recruit

sounds like pressure releif valve AKA popper valve..
I have the same problem.
Can someone tell me where this valve is located?
A photo would be priceless.