Volvo Penta AQ270 noise when turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo Penta AQ270 noise when turning

I was told that in the era of these boats there was a bunch of oddball things done.

Also, the engine has a Mallory distributor. I replaced it with a new one that is breakerless.

I am going to rebuild the carburetor and there is a posting that has some good tips.

I had my carb rebuilt three or four seasons ago ($600). I just changed my distributor from the Mallory marine with a stock Ford unit that seems to work fine. $180 for the Mallory, $45 for the Autozone brand. In hind sight, breakerless would be better, but I didn't know how much this other stuff was going to set me back.

Later,
Jerry

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice

Okay, here's the latest update on this two week long adventure.

Took the boat out to the lake and warmed it up before heading out of the marina. Then a couple leisurely runs just outside the 5mph buoys (in case something broke, I didn't want far to paddle). The outdrive sounds - actually the lack of sounds from within - very nice! The thumps I hear in the driveway are not obvious when in the water, neither at idle or running.

I then did lots of "S" turns, simulating the tubing we do with the kids for 'tube wars' (two lines, two tubes, see who can knock the other off). No more 'grrrr' and no thumping. Nice.

And for good measure I tried to see if WOT had changed - knowing I might have too big a prop on my combo (15 x 23) - not able to find an affordable 14 x 19, I haven't been able to reach mfg's recommended 4400rpm at WOT, only 3600 and 34mph. Today it turned up to 4100rpm and nearly 40mph, so all the new bearings, u-joints, distributor, plugs and wires have helped on that end too. Still looking for a smaller pitched prop so it will turn the max...

BUT, something is now amiss with my battery, alternator, starter or solenoid. It starts up fine when cold (actually it was 90 degrees here today), but after it's warmed up, it doesn't want to start back up - to the point that I killed the brand new battery cranking and cranking. I waited 10 minutes, retarded the spark (in case I was pre-igniting), and tried again. It started but turned over very slowly and only "hit" when I was letting go of the key. Then later, at the dock, I turned it off and tried restarting and failed. To the point of no starter turning at all.

When warmed up, the starter seems to be turning over about half the normal starter speed and sloooowwwwws waaaaayyyyy down in just a couple revolutions. Then another attempt, slows again. By the third or fourth short burst - it no longer turns over (no clicking, just stops revolving as if something is making it too hard to turn). Vapor lock? Crankcase pressure? Starter solenoid too hot? Starter windings swelling when hot?

Any diagnosing of starting issues on this forum?

Happy that the bearings and u-joints seemed to be "all better" - now if I can just get it to restart, I'll be a happy sailor.

Thanks all,
Jerry

Jim Marshall

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My starter locked up a couple of years ago which started my whole rebuild, actually. Recently I took it to an auto electric place who sold me a smaller and more powerful one for $98. He said it was a marine starter that they used in the 426. It is supposed to be more resistant to corrosion.

He told me to keep my old starter solenoid to power the solenoid on the new one. Seemed a bit odd to me. I should get the project completed in the next couple of weeks and then we will see.

Loads of challenges with these old boats. Next is rebuilding the Holley 4 bbl. I have a genuine Holley marine kit, j-tubes and tips from this forum. It is amazing what you learn here--things that are missing in the manuals.

Jim

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

GREAT thread. Especially since I can lurk and leech off of it, since I am having the same issue with my 270, the noise while turning. I did the ujoints already.

I put it back together, knowing the shaft bearing was going bad....gonna face that job next week....got several more fishing trips in meanwhile but the rumbling is making me nervous!

I made a sort of halo for the shaft, out of a collar. It has some set screws and I welded a disc to one end with a small bolt, thread end out. My plan is to use the set screw to lock the collar onto the shaft, and then grab the threads of the bolt with the slide hammer.

(I have access to a welder at work, but no welder at home, so I can fab up ridiculous tools and small parts when Im slow.)

But, there are threads in the end of that shaft? I remember a dimple in mine, not sure if I saw threads.

captmello

Captain

I had my carb rebuilt three or four seasons ago ($600). I just changed my distributor from the Mallory marine with a stock Ford unit that seems to work fine. $180 for the Mallory, $45 for the Autozone brand. In hind sight, breakerless would be better, but I didn't know how much this other stuff was going to set me back.

Later,
Jerry

FYI, automotive distributors are not considered safe for boats.

Regarding the starter, you may want to make sure your not hydrolocking the engine with water for some reason. When the boat won't start, pull the plugs and see if you get water out of any of the cylinders. Has the starter been tested? Or is it new?

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice

When the boat won't start, pull the plugs and see if you get water out of any of the cylinders.

When this was happening at the beginning of the season (before the bearings went out), I did pull the plugs - to find dry plugs (no gas, no water). Once replaced, it cranked and started fine. Made me start thinking it was vapor lock.

Has the starter been tested? Or is it new?

Original starter (by the paint scheme that matches the oil pan and engine). I am pulling it today to take in for testing, although the Kragen/AutoZone/NAPA guys all say the same thing - "If it's a heating up issue with swelling windings, we won't find that on the bench."

BTW, what's the "unsafe" part of the auto distributor? The engine is covered within a box with plenty of space around it and no water reaches it. It seems to be working fine/better than my old marine Mallory.

Jerry

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice

The latest update: I took the starter, solenoid and alternator in to Kragen this morning for testing (did the battery load test there last evening: 12.8 volts available at 400 cold crank amp load, considered fine).

Alternator fine = 14 volts output

Solenoid fine = clicks, 12v in / 12v out

Starter = FAILED their test, in fact, it wouldn't even engage or turn --- with warning alarms that it was drawing too much current (I had just started the boat 1/2 hour prior).

The tester grabbed an identical reman unit to test his test equipment and that one turned quickly and easily and passed their test (how much amperage, voltage, etc). Tried mine again, na da. Would not run the test, immediately giving red screen warnings and shutting down.

So I left the store $54 lighter with this new starter, installed it and she now starts first time, every time (at least under my "yard testing" getting it as hot as I can, running for 10-15 minutes). In fact, I don't think I recall ever hearing it crank as fast as it does now. "So that's what it should sound like" says my first mate. Actually, it starts so quickly that the starter is still spinning a little after I let go of the key.

Apparently my sluggish starter was able to start once or twice, but was drawing so much current that it was killing the battery for subsequent attempts. My guess is that heat made it even harder to crank. The mechanics had said they would not be able to test if heat related as they could not get the starter hot enough - but fortunately, the test proved it malfunctioning even when cold. My new battery was able to crank a few times, but that was all.

Off to the lake later in the week for FINAL testing before we head out with friends next week on a lake far, far away from any marina or parts store.

Changes to date: new shaft bearings (yes TWO on the Waukesha PCM shaft to the AQ270), new u-joint spider (only the outer one changed, couldn't remove the spider nearest the gear box without taking apart the gear box, pulling the shaft), new distributor, new plugs and plug wires, new fuel filter, changed oil and oil filter, and new exhaust and drive bellows.

Later,
Jerry

2stroke1971

Petty Officer 1st Class

Regarding the distributor...Im with you man. My Alternator on my Volvo is an autozone part. Its an old Chevy application, and works dandy and cost $38.
I cant take credit for that, the previous owner did that one,(IVe got the receipt) but I did put the automotive ujoints in there. :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Regarding the distributor...Im with you man. My Alternator on my Volvo is an autozone part. Its an old Chevy application, and works dandy and cost $38.
I cant take credit for that, the previous owner did that one,(IVe got the receipt) but I did put the automotive ujoints in there. :D

Sure, an automotive starter, or alternator will WORK, but if you ever get a fuel leak, they will also detonate the vapors. That is why there are marine electrical parts like starters, alternators etc. They are spark protected to keep unknowing boat owners from blowing themselves up.

Appears many don't care or don't want to know, but think it's a good idea to put others in harms way by recommending automotive parts.

Nothing wrong with ujoints, they don't spark or have gas in them.

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice

I can put my original Mallory distributor back in, as I was chasing starting-when-hot issues and suspecting the points condenser and possibly worn lobes on the disty cam.

Since it was my starter all along (although everyone thought it okay since it would start cold), I can step back and have a spare (or try taking back to the store 'slightly used' or sell on eBay).

Thanks for all the advice on this forum. I might not have been able to "do this" without the help.

Later,
Jerry

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You probably would have got more help if you posted each problem as a seperate post. The title says "Noise when turning" you are now on a completely different subject.

jerrymlewis

Seaman Apprentice

My "noise when turning" has been resolved with:

new u-joints
2 new primary drive shaft bearings
new bellows
gear oil change

Thanks all for your help and advice.
Jerry

JohnVH

Seaman

How much did it all cost ya? Mine makes some noise when I turn one way, have not dug into it yet, but been researching.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.