'79 viking 160si problem.

Devadv

Cadet
first, if this is the wrong section of the forum to be posting this, i apologize.

two years ago i purchased a 1979 viking 160si deck boat with a johnson 115 motor. it ran like a champ until yesterday.

i put the key in the ignition, turn it, and nothing.

the lights work, the bilge pump works, and im pulling 12.6v from the solenoid/starter.

i was guessing there was an electrical short at the console somewhere so i replaced the ignition switch with a new one, but still nothing.

any ideas?

or even better, does anyone have or know where i can get a wiring schematic for this boat? a couple things need to be rewired anyways;)

ty in advance. Dev.

hoytvectrix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '79 viking 160si problem.

Did you check the fuse for the ignition switch? That might be the problem

Devadv

Cadet

i checked all the fuses on the console panel, and the connections that lead to them underneath the panel. they all looked ok.

there was a single "in wire" fuse type deal near the battery. while it looked somewhat corroded, it did not look broken.
14kil91.jpg

ill replace it tomorrow and keep ya'll updated.

in the meantime..any other ideas?

i really dont look forward to having to re-wire this beast as its a complete mess under the console :(

Attachments

• fuse.jpg
    fuse.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

there is probably a short 20A fuse in a rubber fuse holder inside the engine cowl, that serves the starter and the PTT.

Devadv

Cadet

nah, i jumped the engine from the solenoid and its started to crank. so that rules out anything inside the engine.

it has to be a short in the ignition wire somewhere.:(

Fed

Commander

Jumping it from the solonoid doesn't rule out the fuse under the cowling.
Make sure it's in neutral too.

Devadv

Cadet

ok, this is what ive done since my last post. maybe yall can figure this out as im completely dumbfounded.

first i checked the voltages behind the ignition switch under the console. i was pulling between 6 and 6.9V. shouldn't this be 12v? i dunno.

i replaced the 30A fuse near the battery and retested the ignition switch. still 6 to 6.9V. turned the key and still dead. nothing.

this is a rough idea of what my solenoid looks like.

24kwob6.jpg

i took a peice of wire and jumped from where the power comes in to where the ignition switch hooks up. the starter and engine spun.

in the process i accidentally jumped from where the power comes in to the green part of that image. i dont know what it goes to, but it made a huge spark. i thought for sure i had screwed something up.

i went to the ignition switch, turned the key, and bam...started right up.:eek:

i have no idea whats going on. something has to be messed up, and even though its starting i still have to find and fix it.

any ideas?

Attachments

• solenoid.jpg
    solenoid.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 0

Fed

Commander

Don't worry about the spark the only damage that did was to your nerves.
Did you move the shift lever, perhaps it wasn't in neutral?

Devadv

Cadet

nah its been in neutral the entire time.

whether or not it was in neutral was the first thing i checked ;)

Fed

Commander

I think you will have to wait for it to fail again.
I see you have a voltmeter, if it fails to crank over again put your voltmeter between the blue & green (as per your drawing), hit the key & check for 12 Volts there.
Meanwhile you could remove all the connections to your battery terminals, clean the terminals and all the lugs, apply vasolene and reconnect tightly.
Also look around under the cowl for an inline fuse that may be corroded.

Devadv

Cadet

I think you will have to wait for it to fail again.
I see you have a voltmeter, if it fails to crank over again put your voltmeter between the blue & green (as per your drawing), hit the key & check for 12 Volts there.
Meanwhile you could remove all the connections to your battery terminals, clean the terminals and all the lugs, apply vasolene and reconnect tightly.
Also look around under the cowl for an inline fuse that may be corroded.

i looked all over, the only inline fuse is near the battery. not a single fuse near the motor.

i checked the battery terminals and all connections. also cleaned them thoroughly and applied some terminal grease.

i guess ill have to wait til it craps out again before i can track down the faulty wire/part.

ty for the help :D

115johnson78

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If it quits again, per your drawing pull the blue wire turn the ingition switch over and see if you have power, if so then look at repalcing the starer soleniod.

Fed

Commander

first i checked the voltages behind the ignition switch under the console. i was pulling between 6 and 6.9V. shouldn't this be 12v? i dunno.

i replaced the 30A fuse near the battery and retested the ignition switch. still 6 to 6.9V. turned the key and still dead. nothing.
If you know exactly where you had the meter probes when you got this reading we may be able to help you further.