Fish & Ski

peanutsdad

Cadet
I suddenly have a "good" problem. Went out with friends who have a ski boat and wife and kids had a blast. Now wife is asking questions about a bigger boat. I like to fish so if I get a bigger boat it needs to be dual purpose. Any suggestions on some good fish & ski combo's???

Thanks,
PD

convergent

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fish & Ski

It would probably be helpful if you shared what you have now, and what your budget is.

I re-entered boat ownership a couple months ago and decided to buy a Fish and Ski. I had read on here some posts that said F&S boats do a bad job of everything, but for me, I can't afford to buy a bass boat and a ski boat... nor would I have a place to put them. I was coming from fishing out of a canoe, so a F&S is way better.

I found on craigslist that F&S boats are not as numerous as ski and fishing dedicated boats. I don't know if that's because fewer of them were made, or because people like them and keep them. But, over several months there were always a couple showing up. There are a number of brands that made them in the 90's and I found that you could get nice ones in the $5K price range. Going up in price got a little newer, but they are largely built very similarly regardless of brand.

Mine has a hull similar to a bass boat, but the platforms are a little smaller on the front and back, they have a full walk through windshield, and they have an extra couple of seats. Some have cushions for the bow, but I would never drive around at speed with people up there because its so shallow. The biggest complaints I've seen is that they don't have rod storage, and I would agree with that. I can live with that limitation, and the smaller platforms aren't a big deal to me either since I'm coming from a canoe remember. Sitting in a fishing seat on the platform with a foot controlled trolling motor... its a great setup.

For watersports, we are just using the transom hooks and done fine with skiing, wakeboarding, and tubing. Many come with a pylon that fits in the fishing seat hole on the rear deck, but you can also do fine without it.

As far as size, mine is a 17.5' with a 115HP motor. I have 4 teen aged kids, so we can't all go out together because the max capacity is 4. I will go out with 5 sometimes at no-wake speed and then one of them is always in the water doing some watersport for most of the day. It handles that fine. If you go up to the 19' size, you can get max capacity of 5 or 6. I will probably upgrade to that at some point if we keep using it as much as we are now, however I love the 17.5' size because it fully fits in my garage (barely) and its easy to tow, launch, and small enough to get into tight spots fishing.

I've described what I really think of as F&S boats, and this is what you mostly see in the age range I described. There are also a lot of boats described as F&S that I'm seeing newer which look to be a regular stern drive bowrider that have a trolling motor and places to mount fishing seats. I don't really think of that as a real F&S, but if you are fishing in deeper water they are probably nice boats. I want to get into the shallows, so the outboard with a bass boat type hull is what I wanted.

I love my Fish and Ski and am very happy with the purchase. It amazes me that you see on Craigslist what amounts to aluminum jon boats with small outboards for $3-4K, and for a tad more you can get a really nice Fish and Ski.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love my Fish and Ski!!!! I hate the motor on the back of it!!!!!!

peanutsdad

Cadet

Currently I have a 14 ft with 15hp Evinrude. Basic fishing boat.
I would be looking for something used, budget maybe 8-9k. I have 5 in the family that at times would be all in together cruising the Miss.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

20' Ranger Reatta.
18.5 Alumacraft Trophy.
1985 Starcraft SuperSport.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Focus on the utility of the boat for fishing first. You can ski behind any fishing boat but you can't always fish from a ski boat. Look for lots of open space in the boat, not all crowded up with consoles and padding. No carpet. High freeboard and dry hull design. All these features will benefit the family cruising as well as the fishing trips.

I am looking at a fish n ski, we are in the negotiating stage, but I will probably end up with the bass boat that I am looking at. The one that I am looking at is a Viper 20 foot. I wouldn't go any smaller. I looked at an 18' Skeeter and felt like I was in a sardine can.

Nitro makes a nice one, you can see them at Bass Pro, I saw a 19' that seemed nice and roomy. Tahoe makes one that is an I/O that is really a nice boat. It seems more of a pleasure boat that is fishable.

My wife finally told me just to buy the bass boat because I have been driving her crazy for the last 2 months looking at a zillion different boats (my strategy worked).

Good luck in your search, it is kind of fun, but if you are like me, ignorant of boats, don't jump at the first one you see, have a boating buddy to help you, and let the whole process be an education.

sewerrat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I've got a 19' Four Winns 190 Horizon Fish N Ski.
Love it! All fiberglass floor and it converts from a Ski boat to a fishing boat really easy.

sierrak9s

Seaman

I might be unusual here, but I fish all the time from my Bayliner 185 (bowrider ski boat). I've got a livebait bucket with aerator, a big cooler for the catch, plenty of room for tacklebox and two fishing rods -- why not fish? Just bring a couple of rags to wipe your hands on.

Seriously, I bought the boat mainly to fish from, and a fish-n-ski might have been nice, but I didn't find one I liked before I found this bowrider, which I lurve. :D

It's your boat -- use it to have fun in whatever fashion you choose.

STRIKE ONE

Recruit

I have fished in "fishing" boats and I have skied in "ski" boats but when I fished out of a Ranger Reata I immediatly knew that was the boat for me. The 1850 which I bought is well equipped to handle both jobs. Has an extension for front deck while fishing + nice size livewells & baitwell. Floor storage for skies (or fishing rods) and ski pole and ladder for skiing. I feel it is the best of both worlds in one package.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We just bought a used Rinker runabout this spring. I figured we would use it for both and have a little, mostly tubing and cruising. But my kids are really starting to get into fishing. My advice would be get a Fish and Ski more towards the fish. You can fish out of any boat mine included but not comfortable. I don't have pedestal seats livewells etc.. Also storage in my boat is decent but not like a fishing boat. Also mounting a trolling motor on my boat would be a pain. Look at Nitro, Starcraft, Crestliner I have seen quite a few good looking fish and skis on craigslist from these brands. Good luck

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you should take a look at a Pro Craft. My buddy has a 215 and it seems to be what you are looking for. They use it a lot for fishing as well as family fun tubing. :D

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crestliner sportfish or a similar tinny if you can find one. My 1750 can seat 7...