1997 Maxum Marine hard to steer

supspt454

Cadet
I've got a 1997 Maxum Marine 17.5' with the 3.0lx alfa one. I bought this boat used last year from a friend that had it for 7 years. I knew that this boat was kind of hard to steer when my friend had it and now since I own it, I would like to address this issue. It is a non power steering boat, but it should be way better then this. I have another friend with the same power unit in another brand of boat and it steers easy! Maybe the cables are bad, need greased??? Help!!!!!

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1997 Maxum Marine hard to steer

Steering cables don't get greased except at the very end where it connects to the drive unit. Is it hard to steer in both directions or only when turning right/towards starboard?

supspt454

Cadet

It is harder to steer to the right, I have adjusted the trim tab both directions to try and remove this with little luck. The overall steering is what I would consider hard.

oldjeep

Admiral

Which style trim tab does it have on it? The stock type or a "performance" fin?

supspt454

Cadet

Stock trim tab ground down a touch to clear my 19x14.25 ssprop. It seems like it's just stiffer to turn the wheel out of the water on the trailer than my friends boat with the same power unit. Same in the water.

oldjeep

Admiral

Ah - out of the water would indicate a problem with your steering cables or the stearing gear - or potentially the pivots/bearings on the drive.

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like a steering cable issue to me.

What finally did my boat in was a completely frozen steering cable. It froze, and then sat for many many years before I picked it up.

I was able to break the cable loose, clean it up with a wire wheel, and reuse it. Your results may vary.

You can check the link in my sig to my build project for a little more info/pictures. You might just be better off replacing it if you don't mind putting a little more money into it.

supspt454

Cadet

Is there a place to grease the cables at the rear of the boat?

supspt454

Cadet

UPDATE: I disconnected the steering cable end from the outdrive to check for any problems there. The outdrive was very easy to move back and forth. No problems here. I disconnected the steering wheel gear and moved the cable by hand and it was VERY hard to move. Almost like it was packed with honey. Very sticky feeling. There is no way to take this cable apart I dont think. It is the Teleflex rack and pinion kit. A new kit is only about $125 on ebay for a genuine Teleflex kit. Any other ideas>

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

That's really about your only bet (replacing the cable). You may be able to get lube down in there and break out some of the rust or what have you that is clogging it, but probably going to be hard to do much to it. You can get some rust remover in there (something like http://safestrustremover.com/ which pretty much just eats rust, good stuff. Follow it up by some lighter weight oil (bike chain lube or similar) and then some heavier grease at the ends. The grease is the key part even on a new cable in order to seal out moisture. Good luck.

Depeding on your steering gear, you could look at putting in a new steering head as well, not much more expensive than just the cable.