power steering pulley/serpentine belt

mkbb

Cadet
I have a 1997 5.7 2bb. The power steering pulley is shot. Mercury has superceded this 4 1/2" plastic pulley with a metal 5 1/2" pulley and a longer serpentine belt in a kit for $$$$$$. Question: I went to my local NAPA and they had a plastic pulley only slightly larger than the original with the same size shaft. Is there any realistic reason why I can't replace the original with this and a new belt if the tensioner will adjust? Thanks - Mark

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: power steering pulley/serpentine belt

You can ,but when you get the new belt write the number down somplace.wouldnt want the new owner going nuts at a merc dealer trying to fit a belt.

John_S

Rear Admiral

I was able to find a new in box kit on ebay for less than the cost of a NAPA belt. I don't have the kit part number, or would have done a quick search.

mkbb

Cadet

I checked on ebay but was unable to find the kit. I didn't think that the auto replacement would really make any difference, although it's a good point to record what I replaced the original with. I just don't understand why Mercury has to make their parts so damn expensive!

John_S

Rear Admiral

The plastic pulley I removed from mine was not cracked. You can have it if you want it. Just PM me, and will check it this evening to make sure I didn't damage on removal.

Otherwise, would expect the plastic one from NAPA would hold up just as long as your original.

mkbb

Cadet

Thanks so much - Mark