Motor running slow part 2

10point

Seaman
I pulled my plugs last night and the bottom one of the two seemed pretty gassy around the threads and the top one was not. When I had the motor running if I pulled the spark plug wires on the bottom plug the motor would stop but not when I pulled the plugs on the top one. I am not much of a mechanic. What should I do next? Is it time to take it somewhere. It's a 9.9 1974 Evinrude so I am trying to not spend to much money on it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Motor running slow part 2

Are you getting spark on the bottom plug?

Where are you located?

10point

Seaman

Not sure about the spark. Located in Indiana. Was in Ontario fishing last week. My wife is a Canuck.

Someone on duckhunter.net said I should swith the coils.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You could try that. However if you do have spark on both and the bottom isn't firing there is much more going on with it than a coil. I posted in your last post what it could be.

234rick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could try that. However if you do have spark on both and the bottom isn't firing there is much more going on with it than a coil. I posted in your last post what it could be.

Sounds like the bottom one is the only one that is firing or getting gas.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Yup sorry, re read, the bottom is firing top isn't.

10point

Seaman

Hey King, I checked for spark and the bottom one had spark but it was orange sometimes and sometimes blue. I tried to switch the coils and when I did I couldn't get it to start. Was able to get it back together and start it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

So with either coil on the top you had zero spark? If so it sounds like either points or condensor might need replacing. Something you can handle?

10point

Seaman

So with either coil on the top you had zero spark? If so it sounds like either points or condensor might need replacing. Something you can handle?

I am not sure. I think it might be going to the shop.

10point

Seaman

I think maybe I found the problem. See the picture. Is this a cracked coil?

motor.jpg

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Best I can tell by the picture, it looks like a crack.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

There's one coil that needs replacing. Does it correspond to the cylinder that isn't firing properly?

northwoodslivin

Petty Officer 1st Class

You have a bad coil most likely, may as well buy a new pair while you are at it. Slap em on and go get some fishing in ;)

10point

Seaman

Then you found the problem, for free I might add ;)

I hope your right. We shall see. It wasn't totally free. I still had to buy the coil. I am not totally sure there isn't something else wrong. I will let you know.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Free labour that is, it all corresponds to the spark issue, i'm sure it will fix it.

10point

Seaman

I got the coil today and I am not sure it changed anything. I can start the motor when only the bottom plug is plugged in but not if only the top is plugged in. The motor will stop running if I pull the bottom plug but not if I pull the top. When I pull the top plug it does loose some power. All of this behavior is the same whether I have the new coil on the top or on the bottom.