question about skegs and hard steering

billyboy72

Cadet
:confused:My 17 foot boat with 75 hp Mercury steers hard when turning to the right. Boat seems to tilt to the left at high speeds. I guess it has to do with the engine torque. what is the best way to correct this problem by adjusting the skeg. If this does not do the job how do you fix it so that the boat turns as easy in either the port side or the starboard side?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: question about skegs and hard steering

Check the steering system. Standard rotation props ALWAYS turn right with allot more ease then left..... that is pure physics.

Is this a new problem to you? What did it do in the past? Has the engine been re-mounted recently? Improper mounting height will also interfere.

cr2k

Captain

Move your trim tab a little to the left.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

If moving the trim tab does not help, next check if the no-feedback steering is working at all. I once had the same problem with our boat. I was almost pulling the steering wheel out of my hands, and trying to pull extremley to the right.

My Marina's mechanic told me to adjust the trim tab... i did, it did nothing. Apparently he did not believe me that I could tell no difference between positioning the tab all the way to the right from all the way left, so he took it out for himself:rolleyes: ended up replacing the no-feedback steering system for about $250.00 installed.:D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The steering in my Bayliner w/85 hp o/b was getting really hard to steer to the left. I really had to pull hard on the wheel. Close inspection showed the inner lining of the cable was worn, and the cable was binding/sticking when turning to the left.

The cable was replaced with a new one, and the steering effort is back to normal, and smooth operating when turning either direction. So the cable definitely needed to be replaced.

But the boat does drift off to the right if the wheel is not held. It is also a bit harder to turn to the left than to the right. So I think the trim tab on the old Force needs adjusting too.

Moving the tab to the left (port side) will make turning to port easier?

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Turning the tab to the right would make it easier to turn left and vise versa.

Fed

Commander

Moving the trailing end of the fin to the port side will make the boat go to the starboard and moving the trailing end of the fin to the starboard side will make the boat go to the port.

Trimming the motor out will make it easier to turn to the port and trimming in will make it easier to turn to the starboard.

Makes me wonder how many boats out there with no feedback steering are crabbing through the water without the owner realising it.

perchin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Moving the trailing end of the fin to the port side will make the boat go to the starboard and moving the trailing end of the fin to the starboard side will make the boat go to the port.

Trimming the motor out will make it easier to turn to the port and trimming in will make it easier to turn to the starboard.

Makes me wonder how many boats out there with no feedback steering are crabbing through the water without the owner realising it.

Lol..... yep makes me wonder, as I'm sure the marina had no idea, and set the steering to, as you as say "crab" through the water, but thanks for repeating what was already said...:rolleyes:

billyboy72

Cadet

Thank you everyone for your help and advise. I'm sure one of the suggestions will solve the problem.