Prop won't spin

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice
1974 mercruiser 120 hp I/O. Changed impeller, now prop won't spin.
Any ideas? Thanks

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Prop won't spin

Do you mean the engine won't spin it (in gear, engine running), or that you can't spin it by hand- like if it's in neutral?

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Correction, when the engine is running (whether in gear or not, it doesn't matter) the prop won't spin off of engine power. It just free wheels if you turn it by hand.
Although, I just went out there and I noticed if the trim is all the way down the prop acts like I just said, but if I raise the trim some the prop will spin clockwise but will catch and not spin counter-clockwise, which I suspect means if I had the engine running again that it would spin off of the engine power, but not really sure. Also, it doesn't matter whether in gear or not, still acts the way I just said. Probably should start it but kinda a pain with muffs and all. Gonna wait on your response first. Please keep in mind, I'm a beginner boater, with no documentation on my Starcraft boat and maybe a little on the poor side. Thanks again.

Bifflefan

Commander

Id would suggest reading your manual and taking it apart again. You dont have the shifter hooked up correctly.

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

"Id would suggest reading your manual and taking it apart again. You dont have the shifter hooked up correctly."

I don't have a manual.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I would suspect that you lost your lower shift shaft washer, and your intermediate shift shaft has dropped down and not connecting to the upper shift shaft. With the outdrive tilted up, you should be able to look in there and see if they are hooked up. ziggy has an excellent photo here post #14 of what it should look like http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2764600#post2764600

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

I would suspect that you lost your lower shift shaft washer, and your intermediate shift shaft has dropped down and not connecting to the upper shift shaft. With the outdrive tilted up, you should be able to look in there and see if they are hooked up. ziggy has an excellent photo here post #14 of what it should look like.

You are the man! I checked out mine and it HAS dropped down. Now then, I looked at your pic and it didn't show the bottom of the shaft cause the mounting nut is in the way. Not sure how or what is missing or how to fix.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Your'e not gonna like it.:mad: The bottom of the shaft is inside the gearcase (lower). You have to split the outdrive again (do not have to pull the outdrive). Drop the lower enough so you can see the short splined shaft in the front of the lower housing (lower shift shaft). That is where the washer is supposed to go. The bottom of the intermediate shift shaft rests on the washer, and if it is not there it drops down out of the upper ss linkage. You need to find it and replace it over the splinted shaft, then put the whole thing back together. It is #50 in this diagram: http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...03&bnbr=90&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING(Driveshaft)+-+R Almost forgot make sure that the control is all the way forward, and the splined shaft is turned all the way clockwise when you go to put it back together. The "foot" on the top of the Intermediate ss should point straight ahead and fit inside the upper shift shaft linkage. Good luck.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I don't have a manual.

Here is where you get one. Go to "adults only", #9, (here is where I get confused sometimes) Download manual #2,should cover your 74 engine and outdrive.

P.S. The diagram above is for a newer Alpha I but the washer part # is the same.

sunk ship

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much. I redropped the bottom lower unit and added a washer (although probably not the right one) and now once it was reassembled the linkage doesn't seem to have enough slack in it to come apart. Your help was really appreciated.