strange 1969 9.5 problems, can you help me troubleshoot?

gintaras

Cadet
Re: strange 1969 9.5 problems, can you help me troubleshoot?

she's running! :)
carb re-fresheneing did the trick!
Started on second pull, it idles beautifully, but I'd like to go a tad lower for trolling, started with the low speed screw 1 and 1/2 turns out, I guess I will fin tune it on the river tomorrow morning, so far I am happy :D

Here's a short video of it running
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVi74Kts0pI&feature=player_embedded

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Thats great news, glad you got it going. It's amazing the amount of problems that a carb rebuild can solve.

gintaras

Cadet

yep. and this is exactly why I alwys do my own work.. whether it's replacing the clutch in my car or getting an old Johnson to run, if I want it done right, I better do it myself...

Rick.

Captain

Good work. If she runs too fast to troll you might be able to slow it down a wee bit more with the adjuster at the knuckle of the tiller. Rick.

gintaras

Cadet

Good work. If she runs too fast to troll you might be able to slow it down a wee bit more with the adjuster at the knuckle of the tiller. Rick.

Yeah I tried that, I think that perhaps I broke the bottom limiter because when I turned it towards slow I got a faint little snap, and the throttle does not go down by just turning the wheel, I have to turn the wheel AND manually twist the tiller handle to throttle down.. Assuming I broke the lower limiter, then i am probably turning the throttle lower than it was designed to run and it might be OK for me to just find the slowest running spot and keep the wheel at that point.

Rick.

Captain

It depends on what you use your motor for. I use mine to troll and that feature works as a cruise control. I can set , troll for a while go full speed to another spot and then return right back to the original troll speed without having to reset anything. I love the feature. Rick.

gintaras

Cadet

It depends on what you use your motor for. I use mine to troll and that feature works as a cruise control. I can set , troll for a while go full speed to another spot and then return right back to the original troll speed without having to reset anything. I love the feature. Rick.

That's kind of what I meant, set it and forget it...

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The turn screw on the knuckle does not lower the throttle or set idle, it is only a set screw that limits how far the throttle can travel. You have to turn it a bit, then twist the throttle back and check and so forth.