1997 Force 40hp (by merc marine)

joho5

Chief Petty Officer
Just got a boat with this motor and I didnt know where to post this, in the Merc section or here.

I was playing around with the controlls and just checking it out, and take mind I havent even got this boat on the water, but when I push it in forward and push it down all the way, the throttle valve (flap), dont know the name. The thing inside the carb throat that opens up and closes with throttle, well it only opens about 25-30% when I push the throttle forward...is this correct?

It doesnt get horizontal with the throat like I have seen in past boat...I have never owned a mercury / newer chrystler motor though.

If it isnt, how would I adjust that because this is a very low hours motor and it looks as if the linkage is pretty simple and fool proof.

thanks

whit71

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1992 Force 40hp (by merc marine)

I am not familiar with this motor. Does it have an automatic choke or manual? the reason i ask is it could restrict wide open throttle while the choke is on until the motor warms up if its an automatic choke let it warm up first. Outside of that the throttle body (flap) should be completly open at WOT

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

Im almost sure its electronic choke, you just push the key in to choke it, or primer.

kend301

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1997 Force 40hp (by merc marine)

It should close almost 100% there should be an adjustment on the choke shaft , I would start by disconnecting at the carb linkage and see if the choke magnet pulls the plunger all the way in . you may just need to clean up the plunger .

joho5

Chief Petty Officer

I'm referring to the throttle valve not opening up all the way when I push the throttle all the way forward, but the engine isn't on or started. Is the valve supposed to open up all the way?

whit71

Seaman Apprentice

Did not mean to confuse the situation just did not want to assume to much and tell you to adjust with out mentioning that an auto choke could restrict WOT (wide open throttle) when cold. That said YES it should open completly. Good Luck & have a great 4th..