where is the impeller?

conron

Seaman
I have looked through the manuals online and the ones I have but can't find a reference to the impeller, and is there a way to check it?

ziggy

Admiral
Re: where is the impeller?

generally

in the drive, sometimes a separate sea water pump belt driven on the ft. of the engine.

what kinda engine/drive you got will likely get ya a better answer..

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Mercruiser it is on the lower drive shaft,OMC it is mounted under the cover on the back of the upper drive section.Volvo is a belt driven pump on the engine...

Post the year and make of the engine and drive...:rolleyes:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mercruiser it is on the lower drive shaft,OMC it is mounted under the cover on the back of the upper drive section.Volvo is a belt driven pump on the engine...

Post the year and make of the engine and drive...:rolleyes:

LOL, you're going to hate me Gary ;)

Not all Mercruisers are in the drive. Some are belt driven also.

All OMC's are not under the cover of the upper, only the Cobra's. Stringers are, well, between the upper and lower.

Volvos are either belt drive, or crankshaft driven, or driven from an intermediate shaft.

To the OP, without knowing exactly what you have, there is no way of answering your question.

conron

Seaman

I'm sorry...I have a 1986 merc 120 and alpha one drive..hope I said all of that right. would the serial # help? and why cant I find it in my manuals, am I an idiot?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Impeller is on top of the lower gear housing. To access it you need to split the leg. Download the genuine Merc drive manual HERE and look in the gear housing section. It refers to the water pump servicing on page 3B-19....

Chris..........

conron

Seaman

Thank you achris I see it and you have shown me the light. This is the part I'm told to look at here on the forum for overheating