1984 Starcraft Islander Restoration

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice
In the process of rebuilding a 1984 Starcraft islander that has been sitting uncovered in the puker brush for a few years.

Finding a bunch of great info on these forum's so I going to return the favor and post some pictures of the process and some notes.

Starting point
Looks to be a camper model, has all the poles for the full camper canvas but missing the canvas, propane heater built into the passenger box seat. Stainless steel grill with mount on the side.

Hull looks to be in good shape from the outside, has been repainted, lots of mold on the gunnels and cabin from standing water.

Carpet/wood trim is all hard core molded, carpet so bad that small plants have rooted into it in places.

Transom is dry rotted, trailer needs lights and wiring.

I've progressed beyone the rip and tear stage and am rebuilding, will try to post some pics and notes of the progress up to this point.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1984 Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Welcome to iboats!!

Yes we are all mentally challenged with our love of Starcrafts!! :D

Take a look at the Starcraft index (Thank you North Beach!)http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090

I think you will like it here.

What will power your boat??

Here's the rules ;)

Never use pressure treated wood......
Post photo's at 640 X 480 size....... lot's of pictures!
Before you re-invent the wheel and use the wrong thing....ask

Have fun!!!

bananaboater

Ensign

Welcome. Looking forward to progress pics.

Rule #4 avoid injection/2 part foam.

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

Fixed image sizes in the first post, going to try toss in some more pics/notes to catch up to where I am currently 'transom'

RIP AND TEAR

So there was Major mold all over everything, and a colony of mice had setup shop inside. Cushions in the cabin were all chewed up and they chewed a hold down through the cloth in a gap in the very front down under the seats.

I ripped out the old seats/boxes including the heater which looked like it had some kind of aspestos cloth in it. Tossed all the cushions, and then removed/ripped out the rotted floor. The front cabin windows have been leaking at the corners and with the mouse problem I also removed the seats and floor in the cabin.

I found where they created a path under the cabin floor to get into the side walls into the back, and chewed out a full length tunnel in the white foam pieces all the way back to the transom.

Pulled out all the foam from the walls and setup the boat under a tarp to let the foam between the floor joists dry. Left sticky mice traps with peanut butter in hopes of evicting them at the same time.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

BTW this is a major budget project, lacking in funds so hopefully i can cut the corners in the right places :)

Anyways my end goal is to have a nice 90 or 115hp motor on the back eventually. Short term i have a 1960's fiberglass 17ft corson with a 1970's evinrude 70. The corson has soft floors due to water getting under the sealed floor for years, and lots of cracks in the glass due to age and abuse, plus a busted windshield (snow) and ripped up seats, ect.

I thought about fixing it up a few times but its already kinda small for a family of 5 and I stumbled across the starcraft at a price i couldn't pass up.

So the short term idea is to canibalize the motor from the corson after fixing up the starcraft, then pickup a newer/bigger motor in another year or two. My guess is the corson ways as much, mabey more (with water under the floors) as the starcraft.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to the club...good looking project...Enjoy! :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great looking boat! I will be watching the progress on this! If you get stuck, just ask and all of us here will do our best to provide answers.

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

DRY FITTING

Ok so some of this isn't exactly in order, but it pretty much gets caught up to where I currently am with this project.

I cut and dry fit 3/4 advantec for the floors, and 1/2 advantec for the walls. After makin sure everything seemed to fit ok, i put two coats of exterier paint on all sides of the walls, and dry fit them back in.

The floors are going to be coated with west system, then carpeted with marine carpet, the walls are going to be left just painted for this year, then carpeted next season.

14.jpg

8.jpg

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

TRANSOM REMOVAL

So the transom has some rot on the passenger side about mid height. Talking it over with my dad he was leaning twords slammin fiber glass to it and calling it good. Spent a few hours reseaching on these forums and decided to attempt to pull the transom out.

Many, bolts, rivets, beers, and screws later, I have the well off and sitting on the floor, and the top sections of the transom removed. Pictures are kinda dark due to some late nights after work.

Really glad I decided to remove it, found quite a bit more rot directly under the center where the motor mounts covered on both sides by aluminum so I would of never seen it.

Going to remove the bottom section, trace, cut, glue/screw, west system, and install the replacement over this weekend.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yessssssssss!!!!!!!!

Another Islander!

Welcome!

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

I could use some feedback on what people have done for seats if anyone has some good idea's.

Kinda would like two captins chairs in the front, but i would also like enough seating for 3 kids + a friend or two in the back.

Wonderin what would be the best way to accomplish this without cramping up the deck space.

Last edited:

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

So its been a hot 4th of july weekend in newengland but thanks to a ton of help from my dad the new transon is dry fitted in.

As you can see the spay foam was a wet mess in the back, all the water pooled at the back of both sides from sitting uncovered for 5 years and had no path to get to the drain.

I didn't have a bucket loader or any kind of major lift available like I've seen some others use on these forums, but i was able to come up with a novel idea of screwing a 4ft peice of 2x4 across the transom. Then i set another board across the 2 I-beams on the floor, and wedged the jack from my truck between them. I put a bunch of long screws in it, and then cranked away, and she pop'd right out.

Sanded and painted the inside of the aluminum while I could get at it, had minor surface corrosion in a few places but nothing major.

NEW TRANSOM
15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

New Transom Continued

Doug fir A/B marine plywood 87.00 x 2 sheets, ouch.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Car jacks, well that is a great idea, nice! I didn't see what you were using to seal up that new transom but I can see that you had a pail/brush.

You can check my thread to see what I am up to for seating. For the very aft seats my plan is to have a seat that swings from a down/flat/vertical position to up/horizontal position to keep the stern open for fishing and still have a seat there. Though that job has yet to be completed (not even close).

Cheers!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice work in the transom. Novel way to get the old one out. I had a heck of a time with mine. Tried lots of stupid stuff first but a 2x4 prying at it from the inside was what finally popped mine out.

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

I put two coats of fiberglass on the transom, paying especial attention to the edges.

Going to hit some hardware stores today and see what I can round up for stainless steel bolts and screws, stripped out a few of the originals in the removal process.

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

The 2x4 brace actually helped hold the rotted transom from ripping apart also, i was worried it was going to be destroyed and i wouldn't be able to easily trace it. It bridged some of the really rotted parts so i was able to get screw's into what solid places I could find.

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

Transom is all installed, and well is back in the boat, gotta put the end caps and rub rail and stuff back on, will update pictures later.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice rig there...and great job so far:)

Islanders are great hulls and you've got an outboard model:D<<(me green with envy;))

Did you check all the rivets for leaks? Gluvit is a great product to prevent these old boats from leaking at the seams and rivets.

Good luck with her!

Rockaholic

Seaman Apprentice

I haven't checked for leaks yet no. The hull looks to be in good shape though, no dents or issues with the underside.

Got the motor on today, going to try to put it in the water this weekend with bare floors just tacked down and see if she leaks anywhere.