Repair or replace? see pic

cheetah90

Seaman
The last owner had one of those whale tail things on it, I always thought they looked stupid and pointless i didn't know they end up destroying your drive! can this be repaired? or am i better off replacing the lower half? The boat does have a slight pull to the left and going to bet this is the problem. Any and all ideas will be helpful. Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Repair or replace? see pic

If the drive is in good shape and not sat in salt water for the last couple of years, I would have it fixed...

cheetah90

Seaman

If the drive is in good shape and not sat in salt water for the last couple of years, I would have it fixed...

The drive works great,never in salt water. what would be the proper way to repair it?

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have seen several local shops that can weld up the skag below the prop, where the peice is ripped right off.. If they can do that, there should be no reason why they can't do the same to that flange. I'm not sure on the composition of the materials, but they both appear to made from the same stuff.
Check your local boat shops, they should know someone that does this type of weld, prop repair shop.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A Good Prop Shop can weld a fabbed up piece of aluminum for that,...
Disassembley might be needed,... If so, the cost might approach or pass that of a brand New SEI lower....
Donno...

achris

More fish than mountain goat

And people wonder why I hate those fin things!!!

That is completely repairable. Any half reasonable welding shops should be able to do it. I wouldn't expect them to need it disassembled either. It's an external weld where very little heat should get to the drive internals. Personally, I would drop the lower unit off and take just that to them. That will also give you the chance to service the water pump and put new oil in.... :D:D

Chris........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I would drop the lower unit off and take just that to them. That will also give you the chance to service the water pump and put new oil in....

Just make sure the oil transfer passage is blocked so all the grindings from welding don't get into the drive.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Agree, take the lower to a local prop shop, bet it won't be much over $100. One note: If you do take the lower unit in, take the shift shaft washer off and put it in a safe place:D. A new quad ring (from your local Merc dealer) is also a good idea.