Mercruiser Exhaust Question w/Video

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone again :D Since Everyone has been so helpful so far,in helping me fix my boat,I got another issue for you guys ( gals ).

1977 Thompson Del-ray 400ci w/Pre Alpha drive.

Heres a video of my boat running in the driverway ( sorry for the poor quality ) it was taken on my phone.And for the redneck voice :D

I know the fuel filter is wrong before anyone says anything,I havent gotten the Water seperator installed yet,but I will before i get on the river this weekend.Click on the picture for the video (if i did it right)

Between my outdrive and i guess the gimbal area,it looks like there should be some kind of bellow there,i see an opening on both sides,looks like theres supposed to be a hose connecting them?? Isnt the output of the water suppose to come out of the propeller shaft area??

Next question,what is this rubber between the exhaust y-pipe and the riser called?? Because it has a crack in it,and water is coming out there.I am going to replace both of them and want to know what to ask for,Thanks in advance ( again )

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercruiser Exhaust Question w/Video

Between my outdrive and i guess the gimbal area,it looks like there should be some kind of bellow there,i see an opening on both sides,looks like theres supposed to be a hose connecting them?? Isnt the output of the water suppose to come out of the propeller shaft area??

What you are showing in the video is normal.Those are the exhaust relief ports. They make it easier for the engine to idle. The back pressure from the thru prop while sitting in the water is a bit high.

What is this rubber between the exhaust y-pipe and the riser called?? Because it has a crack in it,and water is coming out there.I am going to replace both of them and want to know what to ask for,Thanks in advance ( again )

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=1077&bnbr=300&bdesc=EXHAUST+SYSTEM+(M0057-F8)

odie241

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser Exhaust Question w/Video

What you are showing in the video is normal.Those are the exhaust relief ports. They make it easier for the engine to idle. The back pressure from the thru prop while sittting in the water is a bit high.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...=1077&bnbr=300&bdesc=EXHAUST+SYSTEM+(M0057-F8)

Ok thats great,thanks for the quick reply,I was hoping it wasnt something missing.And thatnks for the link to that page,now i know what they are called,im going to print that out and take it with me so i get the right part the first time.Thanks again,I love this site,I live on it