79 tri hull project with ?'s

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 79 tri hull project with ?'s

did not work will try again.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am wondering if this are would be good for a livewell ( in blue outline ) the black are future stringers red is bilge area.

Attachments

• livewell.jpg
    livewell.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1

tallcanadian

Captain

That's a great idea for your livewell. You can also run a stringer in the middle to meet the end of that livewell. Then continue it at the other end of the livewell and tie it into the bilge area. I'm not sure about your planned layout, but will be like one solid structure after it's all glassed together. Not sure if you know what I mean. Hope I have explained it well. I confuse myself sometimes..lol.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks tc my dilema is the plumbing for this area most of it seems below water level. the blue traced area would all be open or just one enclosed area the front of the proposed area is where the under deck tank will go on top of a stringer about 3 to 4 in in height.my dilema i believe is in the drain. and getting it above the water line.

tallcanadian

Captain

thanks tc my dilema is the plumbing for this area most of it seems below water level. the blue traced area would all be open or just one enclosed area the front of the proposed area is where the under deck tank will go on top of a stringer about 3 to 4 in in height.my dilema i believe is in the drain. and getting it above the water line.

If it was me, I would run the water tube out the back of the livewell, next to the floor along the hull towards the bilge area and then run it next to my bilge pump outlet. You are putting in a pump, right? In your livewell?

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yes i am. so are you saying to drain into the bilge and let the bilge pump it out from there?

tallcanadian

Captain

No. Run your drain tube from your livewell pump out the back of your livewell. Run it along the floor into your bilge area and then up the side of the hull next to your existing pump drain. So you will have two pump thru hall outlets. One for your bilge pump and one for your livewell. That's if you have a bilge pump now. If not then you will have only one thru hull drain.

thruhullblack_1_1.jpg

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok will i need 2 pumps for the livewell one for entry and one for exit?or am i just really confused? here is a rough drawing help me figure it out please.

Attachments

• livewell1.jpg
    livewell1.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 0

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i kinda understand you have an inlet from below the water level to pump water in. an outlet to go out and a overflow that ties into the drain at somepoint but without a second pump (not bilge) how do you get it out above water line?

tallcanadian

Captain

Just one pump. Yes on the inlet. Run your outlet hose like I mentioned before. You can run it anywhere. I only mentioned the bilge area so you can hide your outlet hose. You can run it out the side if you want. It would just be harder to hide your hose is all. Here's a couple of inserts I found for more info. This may be more clear.

1) I used epoxy, fiberglass, plywood, and various plumbing accessories to build one into the front deck of the boat I'm rebuilding. It fills via a bilge pump mounted on the outside of the transom that pumps water through a pipe under the gunnel up to the front deck. It drains through plumbing I ran under the floor to the rear drain hole, and there's an overflow drain about 1.5" from the top of the livewell that feeds into the main drain. There's a timer on the fill pump that will run it for 30 seconds every five minutes to add fresh water, and the excess from the fill runs out the overflow. There is an automatic 750 gph bilge pump at the transom by the drain tube that pumps out the excess water from when fresh is added. I've yet to use it because the boat itself is not done, but I am satisfied with how it is set up.

So if you've got a gutted boat you can set something up like what I did. If you've got a jon boat the cooler idea might work well. Every fish I've caught in the river out of a jon boat used a cooler with an aerator for a baitwell and it worked great. Cabela's sells insulated 5 gallon buckets with aerators built onto them that look like they might work, for about $50. Really though it depends on the kind of trouble you'll go to and what kind of rig you currently have.

2) The main difference is I'm building mine out of a cooler that will be mounted in the rear of my boat. Took out the drain plug of the cooler and installed an overflow and drain using PVC. Drilled 2 holes near the top (above the overflow) and built a custom spray bar out of PVC to hook the aerator pump to. Excess water again runs through PVC to the back drain area of the boat where I'm mounting a 750gph bilge pump on a float switch. Went with the 750gph on the bilge to be sure it can out pump the 500gph aerator pump if I have any electrical issues. I found a set of cooler mounts on eBay that are 4 plastic corners that screw to the floor and then have bungee straps that run between them with a hook in the middle for the marine coolers that have the loop in the middle of the handle. When I get it installed, I'll take some pics and post them. Waiting on the bilge pump from Cabela's right now.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks tc the only thing i can think of that i do not understand is how the drain water gets pushed out from the rear of the livewell and then up the wall if there is no pump to to pump it out of the boat either i am really stupid on this subject or i just dont get it at all if the hose is on the floor at the rear of the live well gravity wont let it get pumped out without a pump.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

I think he means to mount a pump to outlet side of livewell & plumb drain to next to bilge thru-hull fitting.

tallcanadian

Captain

I think he means to mount a pump to outlet side of livewell & plumb drain to next to bilge thru-hull fitting.

What he said. lol. You do need a pump. It will pump the water from the livewell, through the hose and out to the thru hull drain. That's the only way that I can see this will work. Remember, it's going to be in or under your deck.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

alright so i am looking at 2 pumps one for the inlet and one for the drain to pump out the side of the hull?

tallcanadian

Captain

I found this article for you. It may explain better than what I can. Hope this helps.

1. You need one thru-hull livewell pump, one tube of 3m 5200 marine adhesive sealant, a length of hose, and a sprayer bar. A SPST switch and some 14 gauge stranded copper wiring. And a fuse (and fuse holder, unless you have an open slot in your fuse box).

The pump intake is a threaded pipe that goes through a hole in the transom, with a large pvc nut that screws on the outside and holds the pump in place. Seal the hole with 5200, inside and out. Cut the excess off the intake pipe with the pvc cutting tool of your choice.

Clamp the hose onto the pump discharge outlet, and route it to the livewell where it won't get in the way (under the gunwale works fine). Mine has ordinary garden hose -- it's not a hi-pressure application, doesn't have to be fancy. Most livewells have a sprayer bar, to further aerate the incoming water.

My livewell overflow drain is just a hole in the side of the boat (a few inches above the waterline). Others utilize a standpipe, with a drain hose running under the floor to a thru-hull fitting in the transom. Water enters the livewell thru this hose whenever the boat is floating, but it only fills up to the waterline.

Your livewell should also have a drain, through a hose similar to the overflow standpipe described above, or if it's like mine, it's a hole in the bottom of the livewell (which is also the bottom of the boat.) I also have a submergible pump-out pump in the livewell, so I can pump the old water out while pumping fresh water in.

On the pump, the black wire is ground, connect it to battery negative; the brown wire is 12V -- connect that to one pole of the switch; the other pole is connected to battery positive (thru a fuse).

You can run the pump continuously, or run it for a few minutes every half hour, whatever, depending on how much fish you have on board, and the water temp. More often in hotter weather. On really hot days, you might need to drop some ice in there ever once in awhile.

DALLEN7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks tc that is exactly what i needed that will help alot now on to more pressing issues how to get the shape of my stringers. this stuff is so much fun but at the same time a headache. cant wait to have all the cuts made and to just be glassing.