1958 35hp sea horse please help very frustrated!!!

mntboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had this old motor gave to me, so far i have cleaned and rebuilt carb, replaced seals in lower unit, changed plugs, converted form dual line fuel system to single line fuel system(mukuni pump). Ajusted carb to starting out position as with directions from this forum, took it to the lake had a preetyhard timestarting it but did et it started. It idle fairly well, so i brought it up to full throttle and began ajusting, but never could get it to run wide open the way it should. It was always sort of cutting out, never would lean out and go, it ran ut it is still not right. I don't know maybe i just can't ajust carb. What do i need to do now, what could be causing this, points, carbs, what? Please give me some advise really don't want to pay a machanic 70 bucks an hour to fix it, don't have that kind of money.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1958 35hp sea horse please help very frustrated!!!

Is there spark to both cylinders?
Does it look like the carb linkage/butterfly is opening up all of the way at full throttle?

mntboy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

not sure if there is spark at both cilinder, how do i chech that?
Yes, it is opening all the way up

jbjennings

Captain

You need to see if the spark will jump a 1/4" air gap. Use a $6 adjustable spark tester from autozone or elsewhere. Most times it's spark when they aren't getting full power. If you have it running and turn the high speed knob clockwise (leaning it), then eventually closing the needle should kill it. The spark test with an actual spark tool is a necessity. Here's what one looks like. you can make one at home but they're so cheap I don't.
Good luck,
JBJ

Attachments

• spark tester 2.jpg
    spark tester 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 0

DallasJeff

Seaman

not sure if there is spark at both cilinder, how do i chech that?
Yes, it is opening all the way up

Remove the plugs and put them back in their boots. One at a time, ground the plug threads onto the motor (any place with clean unpainted metal) and crank the motor. Best done in the dark because you're looking for a blue spark on the plug.

As JB said, this test is best done with a plug tester but if you don;t have one handy then the above procedure should get you through it good enough. Just be careful or you'll get a little shock. Don't touch the plug or plug wire with your bare hands while you crank the motor, it can be quite shocking.

Years ago when I first did this test I had gas in the carb. Not only did I get a spark but I also got a flame shooting out the plug hole. And I was holding the plug with my bare hand. I was a shocked and stunned for a few seconds then I had to laugh at my rookie mechanic skills. At least the cylinder tested positive ;).

sturdavj

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the flame out this afternoon, I thought it was part of the spark test procedure.... LOL

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Doesn't count unless you jump and cuss tho'.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think pulling the flywheel and cleaning/regapping points and checking the coils is a must. in for a penny, in for a pound Quag