1987 40hp evinrude wont start

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, so I was going to install a tach in my newly restored boat. I installed a ground wire on the tach then hooked it up to the ground block. While I was under the console I decided to go ahead and run a power wire so I wouldn't have to get under there again.

Then I unsecured my ignition switch and kill switch and had them dangling from the console. Next i went to pull my newly installed positive tach wire out when it touched a post on the ignition switch. I dont' know which post it touched, but I heard a little arc.

I didn't think anything of it until I went to crank the motor and nothing happened...complete silence.

I turned the key to the on position, pushed it in, and the choke solenoid didn't click either. I made sure all connections were tight and clean on everything, but nothing works at all.

Next i turned the key to the ON position then used a jumper on the starter solenoid posts and the motor cranked right up and ran. Then I turned the key off and the motor shut off like it's supposed to.

I'm really stumped on this one.

Could the starter solenoid have gone bad when I shocked the system?
Would a bad starter solenoid prevent the choke solenoid from operating?
Could my ignition switch have failed?
How can I test both of those parts-does someone have another idea?

Appreciate any and all help. i just got this motor and I'm only familiar with Force motors.

Thanks,

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 40hp evinrude wont start

Sounds like you might have blown a fuse. Do you have a manual on your motor so that you can troubleshoot the elecxtrical system?

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1987 40hp evinrude wont start

Sounds like you might have blown a fuse. Do you have a manual on your motor so that you can troubleshoot the elecxtrical system?

I actually laughed out loud....ever have something obvious hit you in the head like a ton of bricks?

I won't delete my post in case it might help another lost soul like myself.

Yes, it was the ONLY fuse that it could have been....

attachment.php

Go a year and a half without touching an outboard and see what all you can forget...LOL!