First Boat & First Restoration- Advice Requested

KaptainHook

Cadet
Hello everyone! I have been looking at getting a 14' lake/river/redfish boat for almost a year now and I just found what I thought was a great deal on a fiberglass boat. Little did I know, it was completely waterlogged.

It's a 14' Fiberglass Ouachita that I think is from 1971. Stick steer and throttle. It came with a 15 hp Johnson.

I decided to take the boat on as a summer project. Here are some pictures of what I have done so far.

The deck was filled with water logged foam that I scraped out. I think what I'm going to do is use pink foam from Home Depot because I don't trust myself with the 2 part marine foam. I'm not sure how I'm going to relay the deck yet but I think I am going to just put some stripping ontop the stringers so that they come flush with the deck, and just raise the whole deck even with the fiberglass I left on the sides.

My main question right now is how I should keep the pink foam glued down.. I know The Great Stuff shouldn't be used, but is there anything I can spray to not only fill the nooks and crannies but also keep the pink foam secure?

I've never done fiberglass work in my life, but have a friend who says he knows a little bit.. any advice?

Thanks guys!

235800x600.jpg

250800x600.jpg

279800x600.jpg

280800x600.jpg

262800x600.jpg

KaptainHook

Cadet
Re: First Boat & First Restoration- Fiberglass Time

Re: First Boat & First Restoration- Fiberglass Time

273800x600.jpg

236800x600.jpg

268800x600.jpg

The only tools used for the job..

278800x600.jpg

Bonus pics of my new motor stand I built based off of some plans here..

283800x600.jpg

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: First Boat & First Restoration- Advice Requested

Good start, how solid are those stringers? Whatever you do with the foam, remember to space it above the hull of the boat to allow for water to drain underneath the foam and not keep it soaking in water all the time.

KaptainHook

Cadet

Thanks charger.. the stringers are very solid. I can't find anywhere where water would have gotten into them and there are no soft spots.

I plan on either creating channels with the pink foam or using the pool noodle idea... what do you suggest?

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd stick with the pink foam if possible. Never tried pool noodles in a boat, but I know the ones in my pool get waterlogged and hold water. Extra weight you don't need in the boat. If you got some foam, wrap it in plastic, and then resin over the plastic to keep it rigid, you can either fiberglass big chunks suspended in the stringers, or find some other way to support them off the hull, and it will remain waterproof and you won't have to worry about the foam ever soaking any water and holding weight in the boat.

KaptainHook

Cadet

Haven't made any progress lately due to vacation but I have been dreading trying to install foam in the boat. I know that in order to make the boat Coast Guard compliant I need foam but other than keep the vessel afloat in the event of a breech to the hull.. what else does the foam do?

I am seriously considering not foaming my boat, it's only a 14' vessel and I don't be going anywhere without life vests or out of range of land. I also don't plan on ever reselling this boat (and if I do I will be sure to make a buyer aware).

What are the thoughts/concerns with not foaming this boat but just laying the deck straight down?

chargerboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Coast Guard regulations require all boats to have the minimum amount of flotation required to keep a swamped boat above the water. Keep some foam in.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I enjoy the peace of mind. If you don't want to do to the hassle of poured in foam (I wouldn't) just go the pool noodle or the pink/blue sheet foam from Lowes/HD route.

KaptainHook

Cadet

So I have finished laying the deck.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now I have to fiberglass- Something I know nothing about. I have read the FAQs on fiberglassing but still don't understand somethings.

Which should I use for this small boat? Epoxy or Resin? Also, what weight mat should I use? I see there are different types of "mats" but I was planning on just using fiberglass cloth. Is this fine for the deck?

mikeg045

Recruit

I have the same outboard. How did you convert it to stick steer? I am having trouble finding the parts i need to do it. Do you mind showing me some more pictures of the motor?

KaptainHook

Cadet

I have the same outboard. How did you convert it to stick steer? I am having trouble finding the parts i need to do it. Do you mind showing me some more pictures of the motor?

Sorry man, I have no idea... I just took the stick steer and throttle controls. I'm going to take it somewhere to have hooked back up.