2000 Johnson 115hp with tic

pike227

Cadet
I recently purchased a 2000 Johnson 115hp two-stroke that runs like a top. But at idle or low rpm there is a noticable tic that to me does not seem normal. Has anyone else experienced this and any ideas on what it could be?

pike227

Cadet
Re: 2000 Johnson 115hp with tic

It sounds like the tic is coming from under the flywheel or from the top of the starter.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

flywheel hitting the starter?

pike227

Cadet

I pulled the flywheel cover off to take a look and everything looks fine with the starter and flywheel. It almost appears to me, however, that the bendix gear shaft or gear itself rattles a bit. Almost like the shaft is a little loose in the lower and upper seats. Abnormal wear does not appear the problem but almost like the tollerence in the seats themselves are a little sloppy. Anyone else get this tic or rattle noise?

nhornste

Recruit

Pike, Did you ever find out a definite cause of the tic. I have a 1999 90hp johnson I just installed in place of a 50hp. When I bought the 90hp there was a lot of stuff missing. After I replaced the fuel pump, bracket etc, I am getting the same noise you described at idle and lower rpms only while in the water. The boat ran great other than the noise but I only had it out for a short time in fear that I was going to grenade the thing. Please let me know if you came up with a reason for this.

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

The cover latches rattle. Try adjusting the catches inside the engine cover. I had one that drove me crazy until I figured it out. Have adjusted quite a few since. The fogger nipple also rubs on the airbox, I use a heat-gun to make an indentation in the airbox for clearance.

nhornste

Recruit

I just checked and it is not the latches or the fogging valve against the air box. I listened through a hose it sounds to be coming from the top of the engine aroound the fly wheel. Could this be a bad rod bearing being amplified up through the shaft and flywheel? I can hear it when I have it on the muffs but you have to really listen for it. When it is in the water the sound is much more defined.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I bought a 1997 90 hp ocean pro with a KNOCK..

the guy told me he bought it that way and drove the boat all summer like that. he made 12-15 trips 2-6 hours of fishing each...with that ticking-knocking.. and his wife got worried when they experienced rough weather. She thought i dont want to be out here in that type of weather and the motor dies!

so i bought it cheap...thinking it was something simple because it had lasted so long all during normal use and didnt self destruct.

but once i drove it, i felt kinda the same way...didnt trust it for the winter boating i do..

it was a loud ticking -tapping and it sounded it like it was coming from under the flywheel...

those motors have a flywheel cover so I could not see the flywheel

well two weeks ago i took it apart finally.

turns out the tapping-knocking as a piston skirt slapping the cylinder..

not a lot of galling...bore wasnt that bad...pistons was out of round by .015" and was undersize by about .010 as well....

BUT it wasnt going to clear up on its own!!!!

just thought Id throw that out there...been there

bob

nhornste

Recruit

Bob, thanks for the input. I will probably pull the heads and check out the pistons and cylinder walls. I realize it is hard to say but in your situation how long do you think it would have taken for the slap to become catastrophic? I am not in a place where I can cough up any extra money or time right now. Also, do you need many specialized tools to rebuild a v-4?
Thanks again,

Craig-

Petty Officer 1st Class

You should be able to hear a rod knock throughout the rpm range, with a different sound at different frequency.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Bob, thanks for the input. I will probably pull the heads and check out the pistons and cylinder walls. I realize it is hard to say but in your situation how long do you think it would have taken for the slap to become catastrophic? I am not in a place where I can cough up any extra money or time right now. Also, do you need many specialized tools to rebuild a v-4?
Thanks again,

I couldnt detect any rod end play...but I still thought it COULD be a rod..

the cylinder walls didnt look that bad!!! the head was clean...

I couldnt see the piston skirt until i pulled the intakes off!!!

the rods were fine....the journal was fine...all the noise must have ben coming from the piston on the cylinder wall.

special tools?? ha ha

yes and no....rusted bolts are the absolute biggest obstacle!!! broke bolts can cause major headaches and you could end up ruining the block

corrosion on and all in the threads of some bolts amkes for shear misery!!

they suggest a special flywheel puller, so you dont bang the magnets inside against the stator...

they show a special tool to reinstall rod bolts, but since the rods are fully machined , THEN split...they should be easy to re-align..

torque wrench...clean place to work...

you will need precision measuring instruments to measure a lot of the parts...and a way to know if one part is worn wrong...

but it is doable for a first timer...

I am having my block bored over in all cylinders just to know I have perfect ROUND holes that fit my new pistons and rings...

dont want to do all this work and put it back together half azzzed..

and I expect Ill have almost a grand into the rebuild...

bob