1987 150 HP V6 'Cooling Issues?' Update!

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1987 150 HP V6 'Cooling Issues?' Update!

Well I have the check valve and the two oil cap seals waiting for me when I get home from work. I will report back hopefully tomorrow night with some results.

THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

John and others.

I replaced the rubber grommets in the tank caps. They were both there but very hard and mis-shapen. I took the valve out of the side of the motor before checking to see what my brother had gotten me. It was the wrong one, so I looked it over and put it back. I fired the boat up and got the air out of the oil delivery line (YAHOOO) by bleeding it full of fuel, then running the motor with the oil pump arm wide open (linkage disconnected). I let it run a couple minutes and then checked the pressure in the onboard tank. There was pressure.

I then ran it again as the motor tank was not completley filled up with the cap off and oil came right up and out, as soon as I replaced the cap there still seemed to be an air gap in that oil tank, but only on the rearward side. I'm thinking it can't get out because I can't lower my motor to level while doing this????

I'm going to go see if they have a check valve, and replace that, and then trim the motor down to level (I'll use a ditch once I get to our property) and try that. Hopefully I'm getting close and can enjoy a weekend of boating fun. The motor is smoking like CRAZY with all the oil in the fuel and the oil pump shoving oil into it.

j_martin

Admiral

John and others.

I replaced the rubber grommets in the tank caps. They were both there but very hard and mis-shapen. I took the valve out of the side of the motor before checking to see what my brother had gotten me. It was the wrong one, so I looked it over and put it back. I fired the boat up and got the air out of the oil delivery line (YAHOOO) by bleeding it full of fuel, then running the motor with the oil pump arm wide open (linkage disconnected). I let it run a couple minutes and then checked the pressure in the onboard tank. There was pressure.

I then ran it again as the motor tank was not completley filled up with the cap off and oil came right up and out, as soon as I replaced the cap there still seemed to be an air gap in that oil tank, but only on the rearward side. I'm thinking it can't get out because I can't lower my motor to level while doing this????

I'm going to go see if they have a check valve, and replace that, and then trim the motor down to level (I'll use a ditch once I get to our property) and try that. Hopefully I'm getting close and can enjoy a weekend of boating fun. The motor is smoking like CRAZY with all the oil in the fuel and the oil pump shoving oil into it.

1. Motor has to be level to bleed the oil system. Do it on the water.

2. If you have pressure in the boat tank, AND it is gone after about 5 minutes of OFF, you don't need a check valve.

hope it helps
john

mxzeatr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so much John.

I'm going to grab one if they have it before making my 3hr drive north. The 13.00 is worth peace of mind to me.

Thanks again for all of your help. Have a great holiday weekend!