why do i keep loosing bearing buddies

z0lt3c

Cadet
Hey Guys-
I operate my boat in upstate New York on Keuka Lake but I store the boat for the winter in my NJ home. Every year I haul the boat from NJ to NY, about 300 miles, twice, once at the start and once at the end of the season.

Two years in a row, I have installed new bearing buddies into the trailer wheel hubs prior to making the 300 mile haul. Both times I have lost the bearing buddies at some point during the trip. I never see them come off, I just find them missing at stops every 100 miles.

Otherwise, I have no problems with my 1992 Shorelander trailer. Wheels and tires seem to spin well and I recently replaced all the electric and lenses. My boat is 17.5' and weighs about 1800lbs (guess). It's a single axle trailer with no brakes (4 flat connection).

I order the bearing buddies based on the bearing size as indicated with the manual for the trailer. I install them with a wood block per the instructions with the buddies. They always seem fine in local tests.

Any ideas? Here is a pic of my rig this year;

IMG_1861.jpg

Thanks.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: why do i keep loosing bearing buddies

If it doesn't take some hard persuasion to fit them into the hub, they are too loose.

When I repaired my hub it took a lot of persuasion to remove them, you might want to mic the hubs or have it done to determine if you are using the right diameter BB's

Also, when you install them they go all the way to their shoulder which is like 3/8 to half an inch deep

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yup, had the same problem on a trailer I had years ago...... it was getting expensive and very frustrating....

I solved my problem with a few wraps of black electrical tape around the outside of the BB and taping it in place (attaching it to the hub) around the seam......... never lost another one.

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

I took a punch and dimpled around the diameter of the bearing buddy and then applied Locktite (green) adhesive to the diameter.I haven't had any problems.

nbnewbie

Seaman

all of the suggestions i've seen here i have used and had some success what i finally did a couple of years ago is a non-fail method install the buddy then drill a small hole through the hub and the flange of the buddy tap for a 10 x 32 machine screw ( i used ss) available at any hardware store then thread it through both have never lost these and still very serviceable and looks better than tape have since done it for several friends in our fishing club have not had a bad result

Fed

Commander

Check the inside of the grease nipple isn't touching the split pin that's bent back over the end of the axle when the BB spring is fully extended.

reelfishin

Captain

Check the inside of the grease nipple isn't touching the split pin that's bent back over the end of the axle when the BB spring is fully extended.

As stated above and also make sure the wheel bearings are in good condition and properly adjusted. If they wobble or move, or are getting hot, they can help dislodge a bearing cap.
I've been using bearing buddies for 30 years and haven't lost a one yet.
They do have to fit tight, if they don't get another set or find a means to help retain them. A buddy, who's in the electrical trade, took two huge pieces of heat shrink tubing and heat shrunk his on, not just to keep them in place but to water proof them and deter theft.