big bang

tbrownarcher

Seaman Apprentice
I have a mercury Black Max 150 that I just bought to put on my Triton bass boat.
At first this motor was great but now in the last week it has developed a problem i assume is in the lower unit.

As you accellerat from the hole it starts off a little way and then makes a bang then it resumes running very well. I have not tried to stop and start again to see if it does it again but i assume it will ... it runs well directly out of the hole but about 20 or 30 feet from start it makes that bang and then resumes running great...

Can anyone help me here ????

Thanks,
Nate

RaScLeS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: big bang

check your lower unit oil,

it sounds almost like your dropping a cylinder or two and they pick up when you give it the juice. try some new plugs.

hope that helps !

ClassyGlassy

Petty Officer 1st Class

definately check the lower unit oil. Sounds like a clutch dog is going bad.......

scrampbell

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year is this motor? Where'd you get it?

My first advice, unless you really like buying motors, is to stop running it until you figure out exactly what it is. Once you figure that out then you can decide how important it is to fix it.

I totally understand that you just want to keep running it and not let this noise end your day on the water, but you need to shut it down because things described as "big bangs" generally imply an elevated risk of *ucking up your motor real good.

Here's how I understand the lifecycle of boat engines (broadly)...
You buy a new motor that runs and sounds great -----> Big Bang -----> Engine is dead. -----> You buy a new motor that runs and sounds great. And so on.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Here's how I understand the lifecycle of boat engines (broadly)...
You buy a new motor that runs and sounds great -----> Big Bang -----> Engine is dead. -----> You buy a new motor that runs and sounds great. And so on.

Yup! That pretty much sums it up!

ANY noise out of the normal, SHUT IT DOWN, and find out why.

No IF's, AND's, or BUT's about it unless you're ready to pay for a NEW motor.