Need help for prop on a pontoon boat!

rosbertos

Recruit
I have a 1998 Sylvan Mighty Mite, 18 foot pontoon with a total weight of boat, motor, fuel, and passengers of 1,600 lbs. It has a 1998 Johnson 25hp (J25ELEC) with a max RMP of 5500 RPM. I think the prop that is currently on it is a 3 blade 11x9. WOT rpm is only 4000....I have been messing with the tach to see if there is a problem, but it seems to be fine. GPS speed of 10.4 mph max. Does this sound like my prop is good but the tach is bad or what?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help for prop on a pontoon boat!

I think your speed is reasonably close; My 18 with a 50 does 18 or 19 double the hp is good for about 8-10 mph.and I haven't
fine tuned the setup.your 1500 rpm short and the smallest prop I show is an 8.
While small motors make up more rpm per inch I think we can be pretty sure one inch isn't going to make up 1500 rpm.So either your tach is off or your motor is sick/very poorly setup.You may be able to borrow a shop tach to check against yours.

rosbertos

Recruit

It must be the tach...the motor runs smooth and goes from idle to WOT and back without so much as a sputter. The current tach is a Teleflex Amega...any suggestions on a new one that isn't too spendy? (10 pole, 5 pulse..the Teleflex is $65...I'd like to keep it around that)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Sorry the only tach I have any info on is the Tinytach it is an induction tach somewhat unorthedox. about $40 and easy to install.Assuming your motor is a 2 cylinder it would work on any 2 cylinder 2 stroke regardless of number of poles.