Here's my story! *First Post* [Long]

Sr20_00

Cadet
Well, here goes the story of how I wanted to get on the lake this summer.

I decided I really wanted to spend my weekends on the lake this summer and purchased two PWCs off of Craigslist for my wife, 2 yr old, brother, sister-in-law, and I to enjoy. We live in Oklahoma and enjoyed them every weekend even before the water was warm enough up until the lake ranger impounded them as Oklahoma doesn't recognize the temporary registration that Kansas gives you. After plenty of money and an expensive lesson learned we were back to enjoying them again UNTIL.....

I decided that I would rather have a ski boat for everyone to enjoy all at once. I started advertising the PWCs, double trailer, and all the work that we had done to them for sale or trade for a ski boat. I knew what I wanted in my mind and some of the junk people offered me was insulting. I knew I wasn't going to get a brand new super nice boat for what I had but I wanted something close to what was in my mind.

Memorial Day rolled around and I still hadn't gotten an unrefusable offer so we took the skis out and camped for the weekend. One of them quit us ON Memorial Day. The very next day I received a call from someone who sent me pictures of their boat that they were willing to trade. It was PERFECT for what I wanted. I told them I would tear into the broken ski and figure out what was wrong and fix it. After hours of work and replacing a completely chewed up rotary valve it was running a week later.

Luckily they still wanted to trade after a lake test. That was fine by me. Met up, dropped both skis in the water and the boat, and tested both skis for a couple of hours while the boat would not fire up even though I seen and heard it fire up in the driveway on muffs. I still wanted to trade so off to the house we went with our new boat.

A full week of carb rebuild, fuel filter/water seperator replacement, fuel line cleaning, hull washing/waxing, window cleaning, carpet cleaning, and vinyl scrubbing we were ready to drop my new '92 Sunbird Corsair 205SL 20' w/OMC 5.0 IO into the water. Ran like a dream minus a slight fuel issue which turned out to be a carburetor adjustment.

A couple of weeks of enjoying the boat and BAM, it died and would NOT restart. My brother and I pulled the fuel bowl (empty) and found a piece of "window tint" blocking the screen. Where had this come from? Pulled the fuel filter, nothing there. Pulled the fuel pick-up line, nothing there. Towed it home.

Once home and in the garage, we pulled the only part in the fuel system that we hadn't yet, the fuel pump. Tore it down and what do you know, a full layer of "window tint"/varnish from setting, untreated fuel. I'm almost done cleaning it up and will have it on the water by this weekend hopefully without any major hick-ups.

I really just wantthe thing to run decent to enjoy the summer with. This winter we will be pulling and rebuilding the engine and replacing the junk Holley 2BL carb. During this time we also plan on redoing the whole interior, deck, hull paint, and stringers(if needed). I will create a restore thread and hopefully get a bit of advice and help on things then. The transom is completely solid and the hull doesn't have one leak although the thing does have a few stress cracks. We will find out more when it's teardown time and take samples of everything. I'm really hoping to not have to get into the transom or stringers as that kind of worries me as I'm a complete restore n00b although not new to boats.

I have plans to build in an ice chest, make the ski deck more accesible, change the entire color scheme to neon green and black, and beef up the motor just a bit. I really just wanted to wave at the community for now and introduce myself. I have been reading for about two months straight to try and teach myself the things I need to know to create my dream boat.

My name is Justin. I live in Tulsa, OK and I look forward to getting to know you guys on here as you seem very intelligent, helpful, and friendly!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Here's my story! *First Post* [Long]

Quite a tale but probably not unusual when it comes to dealing with used recreational stuff. Welcome to iboats and good luck towards a summer of fun.

My only word of caution would be..... if I was you, I would do whatever was reasonable to keep your boat running but I wouldn't invest a bunch of money in a boat with an obsolete OMC sterndrive. As in, if I was going to do a full deck and stringer job on a boat...it would be on one with a fully supported powerplant.

Sr20_00

Cadet

Hi ez, have seen you quite a bit. I agree and I have been looking into getting a different outdrive and steering system throughout the winter. I'm pretty sure my brother and I can handle the motor with the help of a friend who runs a fabrication shop. Does that sound like a feasible plan? If so, do you suggest an outdrive and source to order from?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Have you priced this stuff? It's way expensive. And a Sunbird was a very low-end boat to begin with. It just wouldn't be worth it. Boat restorations are great projects and you can end up with a boat customized just how you want it and built better than new.....but start with one with your desired powerplant (or an outboard model boat). Check out the restoration forum on here. Amazing projects.

Sr20_00

Cadet

Yes, very expensive but within my budget and it's more about what I would like to have rather than ease of project. I have almsot completely read the restoration forum for the past two years worth. There are some amazing projects. As for the outboard boat idea, I prefer an inboard over outboard.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's cool. I certainly don't want to discourage a project. I think the best deals on motors/drives are ones that are currently sitting in/on rotted out boats. That's where I'd be looking when it's time to upgrade. Find a nice Mercruiser 4.3 sitting in a rotted pile of a boat :)

Sr20_00

Cadet

It is possible to replace just the outdrive correct? My motor is solid as a rock, plenty of HP, and fairly easy for me to acquire parts for aside from the marine specific ones. I have been under the impression that I could swap the outdrive if it ever gave me problems after a motor rebuild. Am I incorrect?

Sr20_00

Cadet

Yes you could. But you can't just swap the OMC for a Merc. However, I just now check SEI's site and they have an OMC conversion kit. Check this site out http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9D-116&Category_Code=Cobra

Thank you. Site was just added to my favorites. That was my plan of attack. I just couldn't find a conversion kit for my unit or a site with one. I plan on using what I have after the rebuilt motor for the time being and acquiring a replacement if/when I face an issue with my outdrive as I knew they were obsolete. Mine seems to be solid and well taken care of despite the POs inability to care for the rest of the boat!

MrsBoatinOkie

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Howdy fellow Okie!! I'm an original T-Towner myself!

Wish you tons of luck when you rip out the deck this winter. Hope things turn out better than our so called "quick fix" deck into a practically full resto this last winter lol. Prolly seen BigBoatinOkie's '84 Wellcraft resto by now.

Just came by to say Hi and wish you some luck, little that it may be though ;).

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Just my $.02 here. Rather than go through the expense and rebuild of a "run of the mill" I/O, I'd get her running, sell her, and put the money from the proceeds plus the money you were going to spend into a REAL ski boat...a good condition straight I/B like a Ski Nautique, MC, Malibu, Tige, Moomba, etc. No I/Os to crap out, tractor-like pulling power, desirable wake, and I/B's are a piece of cake to work on...

I'm partial to Nautiques, learned to ski behind one...;)

Sr20_00

Cadet

Howdy fellow Okie!! I'm an original T-Towner myself!

Wish you tons of luck when you rip out the deck this winter. Hope things turn out better than our so called "quick fix" deck into a practically full resto this last winter lol. Prolly seen BigBoatinOkie's '84 Wellcraft resto by now.

Just came by to say Hi and wish you some luck, little that it may be though ;).

MrsBoatinOkie-Hiyas and yes I seen your Wellcraft. You guys did a nice job. I kind of expect to replace stringers but I'm hoping not to have to.

WOW- nobody likes my boat and I haven't even posted pictures of it. I was planning to do that when I got home from work. The forum won't let me post from my iPhone. Why is it such a horrible boat though? I'm taking all advice and words from you experts into every decision I make in any restore process. My thoughts about restoring are somewhat along these lines:find a hull you like, interior setup not far from my dream, color doesn't matter as I know my paint scheme I want and it isn't out there, find a decent running motor that I am familiar with, and go from there. It doesn't matter which boat I come across if I look for another or stick with this one, bottom line, I will want to redo the interior and exterior the way I WANT! I feel as if I put the work, time, money, etc into the one that I have that I will be more proud of it than I would be of any other boat you could give me!

I'm not trying to argue, degrade, or put anyone's advice off but I would like to know why I instantly receive suggestions to rid myself of this boat and search for another. I think my wife would kill me. LOL

P.S. I do plan on updating with pictures later this evening!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Have you seen the Bayliner bashing? A Sunbird is on par or lower than a Bayliner. Not saying I agree with it, just explaining it. You've got a Bayliner with an OMC :eek:

AlmostFamous

Seaman

I being as new as you are to this forum, I will say the following. There is a LOT of WISDOM on this site and there are a LOT of folks very gun shy of OMC products and probably for good reason.

I think some of what you are detected are people's genuine opinions on what would be in your best interest. I'm sure many of the old timers on here have seen more than a few old boat restore threads gone awry or turning into way more work than what was anticipated. Make sure your time and money is well spent on a boat that deserves your hard work and hard earned dollars. Maybe, the old bayliner with an OMC is that not boat.

Just my take.

Sr20_00

Cadet

Oh yes I have. A Sunbird definitely wasn't my first choice but I took what I could get. I suppose I could turn it around for a slight profit if I were patient and persistent enough!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Sr20_00,
Hate to say it, but this type of behavior is pretty much a fact of life on open forums like this. If you could go back in time to when your boat was new, you could "price compare" your Sunbird with the competition...that would tell you about what quality to expect out of the boat.

I work for Proline. Our marketing/sales department, and company pres decide who we are going to go up against with certain models. Is it going to be Grady White? Or is it going to be Palm Beach? And then the boats are built accordingly, from laminate schedules to the hardware used, to the standard features versus the optional ones. That's just the way it is, and the buying public realizes this after they have owned the boats for several years...and they report their findings...on forums such as this...

I mean, here's our latest 35 Super Sport. Who would you go after?
DSCF7124.jpg

AlmostFamous

Seaman

Sr20_00,
Hate to say it, but this type of behavior is pretty much a fact of life on open forums like this. If you could go back in time to when your boat was new, you could "price compare" your Sunbird with the competition...that would tell you about what quality to expect out of the boat.

I work for Proline. Our marketing/sales department, and company pres decide who we are going to go up against with certain models. Is it going to be Grady White? Or is it going to be Palm Beach? And then the boats are built accordingly, from laminate schedules to the hardware used, to the standard features versus the optional ones. That's just the way it is, and the buying public realizes this after they have owned the boats for several years...and they report their findings...on forums such as this...

I mean, here's our latest 35 Super Sport. Who would you go after?
DSCF7124.jpg

I can't speak for Sr20_00, but I would go after that boat right there! Wow!

Sr20_00

Cadet

Oh I expect and appreciate honest opinions. I shouldve done a bit more research I suppose. I'm not disagreeing at all with the opinions. An opinion is entitled and expected. I'm just disappointed in my boat. We shall see what time brings on whether I decide to sell or restore it. I will probably wait until the end of season for sure because I don't want to miss any time on the water. At the end of the season I may find a better deal on a bit nicer boat than in the middle of it anyways.

Nice boat btw!

ziggy

Admiral

I'm just disappointed in my boat.
don't be disappointed man. good grief. you've got a boat, your on the lake, your having fun getting it running just right. plans can change. enjoy it for the summer. many folks get a 1st boat that they think they want only to discover that they use it in a fashion that could be better suited to a different kind of boat. it's a learning experience as to what you really want in a boat. 1st boats, if your a boater, usually go by the wayside in lieu of something better suited to your needs that you don't even know about yet. till you've boated for a while.

good luck with your toy. remember, many folks don't have a home, can't even afford to eat or afford health insurance. and you've got a boat. a luxury item no matter what kinda boat it is... enjoy being 'on' the lake this summer...

Sr20_00

Cadet

don't be disappointed man. good grief. you've got a boat, your on the lake, your having fun getting it running just right. plans can change. enjoy it for the summer. many folks get a 1st boat that they think they want only to discover that they use it in a fashion that could be better suited to a different kind of boat. it's a learning experience as to what you really want in a boat. 1st boats, if your a boater, usually go by the wayside in lieu of something better suited to your needs that you don't even know about yet. till you've boated for a while.

good luck with your toy. remember, many folks don't have a home, can't even afford to eat or afford health insurance. and you've got a boat. a luxury item no matter what kinda boat it is... enjoy being 'on' the lake this summer...

VERY, VERY, VERY good point. Thank you for putting me in my place. I shouldn't say 'disappointed in my boat' but rather something like 'disappointed in my lack of research' as you're very correct in the fact that I am enjoying being on the lake in my boat!