Alarm/Horn troubleshooting

Hello!

I am new to I boats and just got my first boat. There is a muted buzz coming from the control panel (1989 Evinrude 100 xp). When I try to go past idle and stays on continuously as I increase me speed, until I return to almost idle speed. Also, the boat seems sluggish to respond when I push throttle forward, it takes a few seconds to speed up, then I have to back it off. This delay has not been my experience in other boats I have driven. When running past neutral, or attempting to get any speed, this muted "buzz" comes from control panel, so I checked pee stream, and it's cool to touch. It was pointed to my attention the "Buzz" could be an alarm! The horn does not work when I push the button. The fuse is intact, and doesn't look blown. Could the horn not working also "mute" the alarm system?

Can anyone fill me in on the steps to check the Alarm system, horn, trouble shoot? I am afraid to take it out until I get the alarm or buzzing fixed, as I don't want to do damage. Any help is greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Alarm/Horn troubleshooting

Start by checking the horn. Motor cover off, there's a tan lead coming from a temp switch in the cylinder head/cover. Disconnect it at the knife deal and ground the lead. The horn should sound with the key on.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The horn itself may have a self test beep when you first turn on the ignition switch, otherwise it's tested by grounding the control end of the tan wire anywhere on the warning circuit with the ignition switch in the run position.

The tell tale water flow lets you know that the water punp is functioning, but tells you nothing of the flow of water through the cooling passages of the engine.

When the horn sounds indicating an overheating condition, feel the cylinder heads, you should be able to keep your fingers on the heads for a full three count any time the engine is running. If you cannot, troubleshoot the cooling system.

Thank you for the possible causes! The information is much appreciated! I will investigate and report back findings.