1966 Johnson Super Seahorse Electromatic 40hp

HOLIDAY120

Cadet
Greetings

I have recently bought another wonderful vintage/classic aluminum Starcraft boat with a 40hp Johnson Super Seahorse on the back. Would anyone have information/details on changing out the impeller? I would like to do it myself, but not sure about the electric shifting and removal of the lower unit.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• DSC00766.JPG
    DSC00766.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 0

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1966 Johnson Super Seahorse Electromatic 40hp

I have the exact same engine, same year. Wish mine looked as good as yours, mine was bomb canned black prior to my ownership. Just put it in the water for the first time Sunday.

First off, get the correct OMC manuel, not seloc. There is no substitute! It will provide all the intimate details you will need.

The shift wires are at the rear-right side of the powerhead, should have disconnects. Unplug the wires. Remove the exhaust cover. Remove the exhaust cover plate (window, two screws) Remove the clamp screws and inner exhaust plate. Carefully pull the wires down through the exhaust cover. Use soap or lube to remove the inner plate from the wires. Now you can remove the LU, feeding the wires as you go. Remember these 40 year old wires will be very stiff and brittle.

Once the LU is off, changing the impeller is pretty straight forward. Might want to consider upgrading the wires while you're there, I did.

Parts are available for the electric shift, if you know where to look ;) But some pieces are VERY expensive.

Take your time, and good luck....

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have the exact same engine, same year. Wish mine looked as good as yours, mine was bomb canned black prior to my ownership. Just put it in the water for the first time Sunday.

First off, get the correct OMC manuel, not seloc. There is no substitute! It will provide all the intimate details you will need.

The shift wires are at the rear-right side of the powerhead, should have disconnects. Unplug the wires. Remove the exhaust cover. Remove the exhaust cover plate (window, two screws) Remove the clamp screws and inner exhaust plate. Carefully pull the wires down through the exhaust cover. Use soap or lube to remove the inner plate from the wires. Now you can remove the LU, feeding the wires as you go. Remember these 40 year old wires will be very stiff and brittle.

Once the LU is off, changing the impeller is pretty straight forward. Might want to consider upgrading the wires while you're there, I did.

Parts are available for the electric shift, if you know where to look ;) But some pieces are VERY expensive.

Take your time, and good luck....

Also like to add: Tie a heavy string to the shift wires before pulling them down. Use the string to pull them back up when re-assembling.

HOLIDAY120

Cadet

Thank you both. I was able to accomplish just what I set out to do.

HOLIDAY120

Cadet

Thanks again guys. Other than a little carb work, the motor is cherry. Having a blast out on the lakes.

Have a great summer and 4th of July

Regards
Holiday120