Exhaust hose?

PCM302

Cadet
I have a Pleasurecraft Marine 302 ci v8 sterndrive w/Warner tranny that just blew an exhaust bellows in the middle of Tampa Bay. Kinda scary seeing water pouring in like that.
Anyway I was wondering if I should just replace the 2 bellows with one exhaust hose? Or would it be better to stay with the bellows. I am thinking that two connections with a hose is better than 4 with bellows. Can exhaust hose take the same punishment as the bellows? I want to run an exhaust hose from the exhaust riser to the exit on the bottom of the transom. My concern is safety and longevity, but mostly safety.

Thanks for the help,
Allan

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Exhaust hose?

Well, the bellows should have an area of it that is flexible to handle any movement and fitting issues.

where the rubber exhaust hose is i think more used where vibration at the joint isn't an issue and is used to connect from say 1 pipe to another when a continuous pipe is difficult to fit.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a PCM 302 that just blew an exhaust bellows in the middle of Tampa Bay. Kinda scary seeing water pouring in like that.
Anyway I was wondering if I should just replace the 2 bellows with one exhaust hose? Or would it be better to stay with the bellows. I am thinking that two connections with a hose is better than 4 with bellows. Can exhaust hose take the same punishment as the bellows? I want to run an exhaust hose from the exhaust riser to the exit on the bottom of the transom. My concern is safety and longevity, but mostly safety.

Thanks for the help,
Allan

Hi Allen,

What exactly is a PCM302?

Is this a sterndrive? If you "blew" an exhaust bellows on a sterndrive, you wouldn't know it at all except for a little bit of extra exhaust noise.

If you "blew" the drive bellows, you might see some water in the transom area coming but not at a high rate.

If you developed a leak in a sterndrive Y-pipe and it was big enough, the water coming in could exceed the capability of your bilge pump (and sink the boat:eek:)

If you have a V-8 stern drive, with thru-prop exhaust, you'll have exhaust risers that have rubber exhaust hose between the riser(s) and y-pipe. If you have thru-hull exhaust, you'll have hose from the risers to the thru-hull fitting etc....

You might be a little more specific on what you have....

Regards,

Rick

PCM302

Cadet

^^^^ Pleasurecraft Marine v8 302 ci. Sterndrive. It is an exhaust bellows and when the engine is running it's spewing water into the boat. When it's not running it does let a little water in the boat when the waves hit it right.

It is a v8 sterndrive but the exhaust comes out at the bottowm of the gimble ring. It does not come out thru the prop.

Anyway my question is can I safely use exhaust hose instead of the bellows?

Thanks.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well,

You'll have to be a little more specific.

What year engine and manufacturer drive.

Pleasurecraft Marine v8 302 ci. Sterndrive.

Is it really a sterndrive? I even looked on the Pleasurecraft site. They supply engines (Crusader for one....)

Do they make sterndrives too?

It appears that you might have a velvet drive possibly? and thru-hull exhaust?

PCM302

Cadet

It's an '89 and PCM doesnt make sterndrives anymore. They also don't use the Ford 302 anymore. I have had this boat a long time and I am sure of what I am telling you. Yes it's a sterndrive all the literature and manuals I have say so.
Anyway my question is not about the drive. It's about using a hose to run from the upper riser to the exhaust port at the bottom of the gimble area.

Thank you.

PCM302

Cadet

Do they make sterndrives too?

It appears that you might have a velvet drive possibly? and thru-hull exhaust?

I think it may be a velvet drive Warner transmission, but that's still a stern drive isnt it? It sure looks like any other stern drive boat Ive seen.

It has an engine connected to a transmission which is connected to the upper housing.

PCM302

Cadet

Hi Allen,

If you have thru-hull exhaust, you'll have hose from the risers to the thru-hull fitting etc....

You might be a little more specific on what you have....

Regards,

Rick

Okay, I have thru hull exhaust. My current system has the exhaust riser then bellows a 90 deg elbow and then another bellows connected to the thru hull fitting. I am wanting to know If I can use an exhaust hose instead of the bellows and 90 degree fitting.

Thanks for the help.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

OK,

You do not have a sterndrive.....;) You have what is called an "Inboard" type boat.

The propeller shaft is on the bottom of the boat and is directly driven through a transmission (like a Velvet Drive etc......an extremely reliable trans btw....)

You also have "Thru-Hull" exhaust.

I am wanting to know If I can use an exhaust hose instead of the bellows and 90 degree fitting.
Maybe.....

You could probably use "regular" exhaust hose which is fairly thick and is quite stiff. (NOT flexible)

You should check with PCM though to see if they think that's a good idea though. They may have used a flexible "bellows" type hose just because it was easy to install and it was cheaper.....

Why did the Bellows type hose fail? (other than it's fairly old) if it failed because it got hot, you may have a more serious problem with the raw water pump or partially clogged (with rust) manifolds and risers. If that's the case, you NEED to replace the manifolds AND risers or you will cook the new hose regardless of what you put on.

same with the raw water pump. If it's faulty, you won't have enough water flow to properly cool the entire exhaust system.

Also, if the impeller failed before and you have impeller remnants clogging something down stream, you get the same result.

It's EXTREMELY important to have good unobstructed water flow throughout the entire cooling system from the water pick-up to the risers.

PCM302

Cadet

OMG it's not an inboard! The prop is not at the bottom of the boat. It's connected to the lower unit. It looks just like a Merc Alpha or Bravo, but it's not it was made by PCM.

:DThank you for the help anyway, but I have decided to go with silicone bellows.
Oh and yes the bellow blew cause it was old.

Thanks again.:)