Another weekend of people swimming at the ramp

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer
And this time not only were they swimming on both sides of the ramp, but actually on the ramp too. Adults, kids, dogs, it was a mess. We had to ask them to move as we approached the shore, then backing out from shore to trailer the boat we had to ask them to get out from behind the boat.. As I was backing the trailer down the ramp they were walking back and forth across the ramp at the waters edge. After we got the boat and waverunner out of the water a county sheriff drove by, I tried to flag him down (as the people were again swimming on the ramp) but he just rolled on by. I am thinking maybe next time a paintball gun would suffice as a "tool" to clear the ramp?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Re: Another weekend of people swimming at the ramp

You can buy the really annoying construction beepers that wire up to your reverse lights. Get one of those and put it on, at least the beeping will alert people to a big giant boat about to back over them.

(for added effect, get a rear facing air horn.)

I see the same all the time. Scares the daylights out of me because there is zero visibility dead center when you are backing a loaded boat down, especially when its right at the top of the ramp.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yep, and guess whose fault it will be if you run over one of the morons?:mad: It's absolutely amazing to me that some people get through a day without experiencing a stupidity-induced fatality.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

I really do my best to try not to get mad, obviously these people lack common sense or the brain power to understand that it's dangerous... and it's hard to be mad at people that are unintelligent. I really feel bad for the kids though, with parents like theirs they don't stand a chance in life.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Where are you boating around St. Louis that you are seeing this? I have never seen this at any ramp I have been to.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Where are you boating around St. Louis that you are seeing this? I have never seen this at any ramp I have been to.

This was down at my dad's place at Lake Norfork in Arkansas.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A one of our local area dock, we have people that like to take up fishing from the boat ramp dock. It's not to bad till they try fishing on the side where the boats go.. When you launch your boat they look at you like you invaded their fishing hole...

lncoop

Vice Admiral

This was down at my dad's place at Lake Norfork in Arkansas.

Oh, that explains it. Arkansans.:p I spent many a day on Norfork as a teenager. Nice lake. I have lots of patience with people who don't know any better as we all can be described as such at some point in time. However, once it's been explained that they are placing themselves and/or their kids in danger by misusing the facility my fuse begins to shorten exponentially. It's not as though there are no swimming areas on that lake.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Oh, that explains it. Arkansans.:p I spent many a day on Norfork as a teenager. Nice lake. I have lots of patience with people who don't know any better as we all can be described as such at some point in time. However, once it's been explained that they are placing themselves and/or their kids in danger by misusing the facility my fuse begins to shorten exponentially. It's not as though there are no swimming areas on that lake.

Yep, we're used to seeing the occasional car sunken to the frame rails on a beach, or disabled boat launched and floating away from the ramp while the owner tries to "fix" it, but we hadn't witnessed this in many years.. probably because we try to avoid using the lake on weekends, the less people on the water the better. :)

We love norfork, as far back in my childhood as I can remember we have spent at least 2 weeks there each summer.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Spent a night there on my party barge last summer with my brother and dad fishing and goofing off. Had a great time. I need to get back up there for a weekend some time. It's just tough to justify since there are five or six outstanding lakes within an hour and a half of my door. I love Tablerock too.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

Incoop: Have you ever been to Lake Ouachita? It'd be a heck of a drive, but from what i've heard it's a fantastic lake.

The corp of engineers has Norfork pretty boogered up, the water is high so there aren't any beaches right now.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Gotta love those turkeys at the corps. Been to Ouachita many times as it's one of the five or six I mentioned. It's really a neat lake. There are lots of islands and very good fishing; several guys guide Striper trips there, but it's known to have good opportunities for other game fish as well. It's pretty big, 50K-60K acres I think. What many people do is get there early on a Friday and stake out an island to spend the weekend on. There's also a very large houseboating set and several marinas.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I vote paintball gun!!!! I bet they play basketball in the street to and get mad when a car come by.

JSGOLD

Chief Petty Officer

Well it could be worse...we were fishing one day and a church group came by and used the (only) ramp at our lake for baptism....lasted about an hour or so, not too long but no one could come in during that time, or launch. Two guys just circled around and fished until they were done. After all, who wants to **** off a preacher?:p

Last edited:

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to Lake Norfork at the end of july. My father-in0law lives in Mountain Home. I love that lake. I'm use to Lake Michigan temps, my pool hardly gets a warm as Norfork! One of these years I'm gonna take my ski boat down there. His pontoon just doesn't compare to my Glastron.

98Shabah

Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to Lake Norfork at the end of july. My father-in0law lives in Mountain Home. I love that lake. I'm use to Lake Michigan temps, my pool hardly gets a warm as Norfork! One of these years I'm gonna take my ski boat down there. His pontoon just doesn't compare to my Glastron.

Just this past weekend the water temp was 88*.:)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Well it could be worse...we were fishing one day and a church group came by and used the (only) ramp at our lake for baptism....lasted about an hour or so, not too long but no one could come in during that time, or launch. Two guys just circled around and fished until they were done. After all, who wants to **** off a preacher?:p

most (or at least some) church groups do that are just HOPING someone pushes the issue and law enforcement is called. They instantly scream freedom of religion. Nevermind there is a perfectly good beach off to the side, or they could do it at off hours instead of peak times.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer

Just got out of my pool, it was 80*. That's with a solar cover! George's Cove is gonna feel good. I see people swimming at that launch every year.

slowjeep

Cadet

I had a whole family doing the swimming/wading thing at the launch one time. It was a very "rustic" launch, basically some gravel with a hole dug in the middle. The wife tries to walk behind my boat as i am backing in... the water went from knee deep to neck deep in about 1 step for her. Priceless!