Bad day boating :( Missing chunks on finch and prop :(

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Decided to take my parents for a ride on my four winns sundowner 205 for father's day, looks like one of the buoys got loose from the rapids, as I was following the buoys I hit a rock, here in Montreal our lakes are not too deep and this is a constant problem :(

My finch is missing chunks and my prop is totally messed up, the boat's shaking big time, I barely made it back going 5km /hr. My mechanic told me if it's the foot (Volvo Penta 5.7) it could cost as much as $5k, I'm freaking out :(

Based on the boat shaking when I accelerate and the symptoms, can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

anzomcik

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Bad day boating :( Missing chunks on finch and prop :(

Well you need a new prop anyway, get one and see if it still shakes. Thats the corse i would try. Baby steps. Sorry to hear of you accident

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

With the prop off rotate the shaft by hand if you see any wobble you will need a repair. Have an assistant hold a screwdriver near the shaft steadied against the gearcase or anti vent plate.

robert graham

Admiral

If you were lucky enough to have an aluminum prop, then maybe it took most of the damage and not your prop shaft and lower unit gears. If the finch and a skeg are the same then you can get that repaired or welded fairly easily. Start with new prop and check prop shaft, hopefully just prop and skeg!

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

My local mechanic told me my shaft is slightly uneven, looks like the aluminum prop took the hit, it's is bent on all ends, the finch needs welding, ah well, it's not too bad, $400 for finch repair and new prop..is it reasonable?