Replacing speakers on Four Winns Sundowner 205

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice
Hi!

I have a sundowner 205 2000 model, the back speakers are popped, I looked in the user manual and could not see what size they are, I was hoping someone could recommend good replacement speakers.

Thx

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: Replacing speakers on Four Winns Sundowner 205

For the size - measure them

brand - what is important, quality or price???

CrazyBoy

Seaman Apprentice

I checked out MTX from my local electronics store, they're not much better.

I rather something good. I have Sony's right now and they sound so so..and popp easily lol

AaronR

Seaman

I own Sound Innovations, I specialize in car audio but If you take a picture and send it to me I could figure out the size and I could set you up with something that will sound good and be more durable than either Sony or MTX.

Pm me if you need any advice or suggestions.

-Aaron

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, just get a tape measure and measure them, probably 6''.

With speakers you can spend $40 or $400 depends on what you want, if your head unit isn't really powerful high dollar speakers won't do you much bettet than cheaper ones.

TYhe iboats store has quite a selection, you get a good speaker at a god price and you help support the site, http://www.iboats.com/Marine-Audio-...4132321--**********.523326970--view_id.250377

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Aaron - please review the TOS

OP - polk or alpine would be a good choice

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

As someone already said it's the head unit that counts. You can get some good sound from cheap speakers if the head unit has enough wattage and amps. Conversely, you can buy mac daddy speakers that will sound like poo with a cheap head unit.

AaronR

Seaman

Aaron - please review the TOS

OP - polk or alpine would be a good choice

I wasn't trying to make a sale, he lives in a totally different country than me. Shipping would cost more than the product itself. I was only going to offer knowledgeable advice and opinions of different brands.

I didn't read the TOS but if giving advice to a fellow boater violates the TOS then a lot of people are in violation as we speak.

If throwing my company name out there violates TOS then I'll edit it out, I'm not trying to step on any toes or make cash from this site, I just wanted the OP to know I was legitimate and not just some jack*ss that thinks they know about audio equipment.

AaronR

Seaman

As someone already said it's the head unit that counts. You can get some good sound from cheap speakers if the head unit has enough wattage and amps. Conversely, you can buy mac daddy speakers that will sound like poo with a cheap head unit.

Head units are ALL rated by the amount of watts they produce, not amps.

Also, you can over power cheap speakers with a good head unit and be back in the same situation with blown speakers.

Don't quit your day job

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

I bought clarion marine 6.5" speakers with 1.5" components to replace the crappy 5.5" auqatronics speakers. The clarions have a max RMS power rating of 130 W (200W peak) each which is more than any head unit (without an amp obviously) is going to put out. I believe most head units are around 200W peak, or 50W per channel, and that is peak power. You have to look at RMS power, that is the most important when judging speakers, head units, ect.

I also bought a alpine CDA-9884, and the head unit is awesome. It looks nice, sounds great, and had I-pod controls with a connector that comes with the unit. I paid $200 a year ago, but now its even cheaper. Its, not top of the line, but it is an Alpine.

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/produc...rs/CM1635/us-en-product-pf_1172408856107.html

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-KHCf9pdwMkn/p_500CDA9884/Alpine-CDA-9884.html

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I didn't read the TOS but if giving advice to a fellow boater violates the TOS then a lot of people are in violation as we speak.

Aaron, I think the violation was putting your email address in your message. If you want direct communication with someone on iBoats you can use the private messaging feature.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Don't quit your day job

Hey Aaron...no need to be rude. If I told you what I really wanted to say I'm sure I'd be in a bit of trouble. Starts with an F and ends with a U.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

This thread is getting off topic and going down the wrong path quickly.

Email addresses and solicitation of business is not allowed and I believe you were just establishing credibility.

The other posts that good quality speakers with a poor head unit is a valid point as well.

Let's keep it on topic guys.

As for the OP.....

- Determine what you have for a head unit
- Measure the existing speakers (size)
- Determine your need (simply replacement to produce sound or you want to upgrade to better quality)
- Determine your price range and what you want to spend.

A nice quality system (such as the Alpine mentioned) with a good set of matched quality speakers (Polk Audio and Alpines also mentioned) and a great quality sound system could be installed for around $250.

Good luck with your choices.

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My new alpine 6-1/2 sound amazing. I can recommend anything alpine makes.

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

Hey Guys, thx for all your replies..

My radio is the following;

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665801100

Sony MEX-BT2700

I'm not looking for the cheapest speakers, but ones that would sound pretty decent with my Sony head unit.

Thx again!

Check ebay....(I'm in Canada too and was the cheaper route than buying local)

Nice set of Alpine marine (http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/category/marine/) or the Polk Audio db (http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/speakers-systems.php#db) will work and won't crush the budget.