1998 Ocean Pro Ficht 175

Nighthawk1

Recruit
Looking to purchase a 1998 GW 19 with subject motor on the back. I know about all the horror stories with this engine and am rolling the dice hoping to get a season or two out of it before repower. So here's the story;

1st trial; engine ran strong for 4 minutes then chocked out on water in fuel issue. Towed in at motro nevr started agian. Broker polished the ethanol fuel in the tank and no further problems noted.

2nd trial; All going well until broker says do you want to drive it? We were getting spurious check engine alarms and the chk engine redlight was coming on which I had been informed of before hand. Regrdless engine was running pretty well and I figured I would deal withthat situation if I could get this boat for a good #.

Then just for kicks I disconnected the cannon plug for the alarm horn etc. Suddenly at 1900 to 2400 RPM there is noticable misfire. After getting through that range its seems o.k. although I could only get about 4600 RPM top end out of it. 2 people in boat headed into wind and slight chop. 4 bladed prop installed.??

Could the misfire be part of the ECM problem as related to the intermittent chk engine alarms? Compression is basically good on all cylinders. #6 cylinder sightly low at 95 vice 110 cold, but looked o.k. after engine warmed up. Leak downs seemed decent although not sure the broker's mechaninc did them properly.

Any help or idea on this misfire would be appreciated. Broker says could be prop cavitation. I doubt that.

Cant' afford to repower this year and would like something to run around in for a bit this summer. Thanks much.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1998 Ocean Pro Ficht 175

Find another boat. That engine is worth less than zero in my opinion.

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like if you pulled the code cylinder 6 would be where the misfire is. all your cylinders sould be with in 10 % psi of each other. Power head most likey bad. I have seen people have no problems with these motors and others be complete dud's. I would bring it to the dealer not the place you bought it from and get a pro's opinion on it. Doesn't cost much. That motor is not like other 2 strokes it got computers and injectors with out the no how and a lap top you could never find the problem.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

He said he "was looking to buy", which implies he doesn't own it yet. Run away as fast as you can!

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class

I miss that.:eek: Sorry then I wouldn't touch that motor with a 10 foot pole.

Nighthawk1

Recruit

So guess what guys? I bought the boat, M & T for $6850.00 and ran it in Cape Cod Bay for 2 weeks straight. Never missed a beat. Ficht a little sloppy at the low end but power on it's pretty strong. You just never know about these motors, but after 12 years it usually means it's a good one and this one is.

jonesg

Admiral

The problem is their resale value, but you snagged it cheap yourself so the seller was the one taking the hit.
If you get the software and laptop cable off ebay you can read the codes and try to stay on top of it.