speedometer not working

buckhorn237

Cadet
speedometer works when i blow into it. ran a new tube and installed new pitot hooked back up and it still does not work. please help

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: speedometer not working

might be cheaper to get a gps :p

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

what position do you have the pitot arm in ? should be 90 degrees to the bottom of the hull the ( hole in the end of it pointing towards the bow...)

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

also , is the pitot tube in clear water while you are running....if it is in an area off of the stern ,that is 'white water' while running. it will not function...no compression from air entrained water...

buckhorn237

Cadet

new pitot arm is in the same spot and position as when the speedo worked thanks for any help could the speedo still be bad even though it registers with air

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

Have you blown into the new tube after installing it...maybe it is kinked or clamped too tightly someplace...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Stupid things never work for very long or accurately. I gave up on mine. It fills the hole in the dash. (sigh)

buckhorn237

Cadet

it blows through perfect blown both ways with air compressor and speedo disconected reconnected and still does not work i think ive tried everything

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

speedometer works when i blow into it. ran a new tube and installed new pitot hooked back up and it still does not work. please help

If it doesn't work, there is either a blockage in the hose, a leak at one end, or the gage is defective. Pull the connections and seal them again. Blow thru the pitot to be sure it is free.

I'm surprised it works by blowing. Usually takes a lot of pressure. I could never get mine to work that way. Mayby that signals the problem!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Stupid things never work for very long or accurately. I gave up on mine. It fills the hole in the dash. (sigh)

Simply not true. The gages last almost forever unless they get frozen. The secret is to keep the hose sealed so no water gets in, and of course replace the pitot if it gets broken off.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous today and I did my annual performance check - mph vs. rpm vs. fuel usage. My 26 year old pitot Teleflex speedo was spot on to about 20 mph, and only off 1 mph vs. GPS up to WOT.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

it blows through perfect blown both ways with air compressor and speedo disconected reconnected and still does not work i think ive tried everything

Welcome to iboats!

AIR COMPRESSOR !!!! :eek: Too much pressure!!! Well..... the spedo is probably toast :(

They sell replacements here on iboats in the store.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

of course there is the possibility that the tube you used to replace the old one is not right for your speedo

buckhorn237

Cadet

hooked a couple of feet of tube to back of speedo and ran air compressor at 10 to 40 psi speedo registered different speeds with different pressure

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Simply not true. The gages last almost forever unless they get frozen. The secret is to keep the hose sealed so no water gets in, and of course replace the pitot if it gets broken off.

The weather was absolutely gorgeous today and I did my annual performance check - mph vs. rpm vs. fuel usage. My 26 year old pitot Teleflex speedo was spot on to about 20 mph, and only off 1 mph vs. GPS up to WOT.

Well then you're welcome to come fix mine then. It's been blown out, re-tubed, re pitoted more times than I can remember, and that's just this boat. Out of the 8 boats I've owned, I can't remember having one that was even close. Consider yourself lucky or me not...

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

disconnect the tube from the guage next time you are out on your boat ..run the boat and see if water is coming out of the tube

buckhorn237

Cadet

not getting water when tube is disconnected and moving but i can blow water threw from the pitot arm at the dock ran brand new tubing today and it is not kinked it acually has a better path than before

buckhorn237

Cadet

i have a gps already and the speedo was right on when it worked I just can't stand having something not work and I can't figure out why

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

This post is too funny..........mine crapped out yesterday. I just downloaded a GPS speddo app from my droid.

Philster

Captain

We're talking about a device that operates on 3-7 PSI (I think).

Easy to exceed that limit just by blowing into it! Air compressor = death.