• Female puppy

Votes: 24 55.8%
  • Male puppy

Votes: 19 44.2%

• Total voters

nlain

Commander
Re: Help settle a debate

I grew up on a farm with cats and dogs, I have personally had both male and female, German Sheppard, female, great dog, Sheppard Chow mix female, great dog, if wife and/or daughter home alone no man was going to enter the yard, woman could come in but you knew she was in the yard, Siberian Husky, great dog, never knew she was there, made no noise at all, at least until we left for work, neighbors said she would howl for a little while after, last pair we had, Black Lab,male, Golden Chow mix female, both were great dogs, the male kept the yard dug up and do not lay anything on the porch that you wanted, he would take it in the yard and destroy it, he had those two faults until the day he died, but you could not have asked for a more loving dog than he was. They were both loving dogs, female liked water the male did not, we could get him in but he did not want to stay long, she I think would have lived in it if she could. We are without right now, will start looking before too long. One more thing, all of the animals that I have had except the Husky were adopted, as stated there are a lot of animals out there that are great. If you look into their eyes you can tell if there is anything behind them, you can really see smart, it shows in the eyes in both cats and dogs. I still have two cats in the house.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Young is the key word, our lab cross is female, and what an attitude as she got older.

Rscardina

Chief Petty Officer

I love boxers.. had one (which passed early)..sad..

But i can say that Roxy was awsome..great tempperment and very protective of the pack (me, wife and kids).. we had her fixed and cropped..so no issue with heat for her.. which i believ also helped temperment..

However, regardless of breed and sex..all dogs have their own personalities and I think its not an answerable question..

however..my experience with dogs always went to the girls... I say female, pluss..all male dogs i have know, for the most part were big dumb goofy dogs that wanted to play and have fun all the time, which is great..but i found that they didnt listen as well ADHD maybe?..I dont know

in the end its all about the trainer and commitment to the training...boy or girl..doesnt matter

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think if the dogs have been fixed/neutered, there won't be much difference between the two. A male dog with females around can be a bit testy if they are in heat, while a female with pups can be a bit on guard.

With Goldens in particular, though, I think either sex will prove to be a great dog and an easy dog to train - they are very smart, very loyal and tend to have a very good disposition.

Having had an ex-SIL who bred them though, I would say to be very careful of where you get one. Goldens have been very popular over the years and you sure don't want to inadvertently buy from a puppy mill, with dogs that are very inbred.

???

Cudos

Seaman

Just make sure you buy your puppy from a reputable breeder with the parents hips & elbows been passed. Golden's are prone to HD and a poorly bred golden can have a multitude of serious problems. My sister has had males and they have always been very gentle, can't speak for the females.

What ever you decide good luck and enjoy your new puppy.

I, on the other hand I am a GSD person (-:

Attachments

• Tidus86.jpg
    Tidus86.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 0

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

also it takes 3-4 years to get a good dog so first 3yrs are always a little rough so you have to hang in there.

Fly Rod

Commander

The Mrs and I seem to be at a roadblock on getting a puppy. We have settled on getting a Golden Retriever.

I think a male is easier to train and she thinks that a female will be easier to train. So what do you think?

First we need to know if it is a golden retriver. If so it means that it is BLONDE in color. So it may be harder to train if it is blonde.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

All I can say is, if this male pup of ours doesn't straighten up some, he may become a female and we'll start again ;)

I'd vote get one of each, you'd have the 50/50 chance going for you. :D

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All our dogs have been female including our current Lab very smart,loves swimming,loves the boat,loves that Frisbee,and loves anyone throwing the Frisbee(she thinks I am a play toy on Sundays),but don't come in the house if you are not family very protective.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks again, the Mrs is happy that the poll is in HER favor :D

I'm sure that whatever we DO get will be from a shelter. (Dad always told me that there are many cats, dogs, and women so there is no need to pay for any of them :D ) Keeper came from a shelter in Michigan. Yeah I know a Michigan dog in the Buckeye state. My wife found him on petfinder. She told me it was in Michigan which is about an hour and a half drive to the state line. She only failed to tell me that the shelter was in the northern part of the state :D. However the 12 hour driving time was worth it. He was only 12 weeks old when we got him. Was easy to house break, retrieves, and does all the normal tricks. He too will only get nasty when someone he does not know comes to the house.

Whatever it will be, they will be fixed so the training should be the same. I only hope that Keeper will learn which will be the pups toys and to leave them alone. His is very protective of his bones and chews. That is the only problem that I can foresee right now.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

Glad to see you used petfinder that is where are foster dogs are listed and people will drive hours for the right dog. dogs are like kids you need two so you can take a break and they keep each other busy.

kmk_7110

Petty Officer 1st Class

My parents have a mutt that looks like a golden/yellow mix. Has the long bushy tail of a golden with the more yellow of the lab. Great tempered female, if you dont want the dog to get nasty when someone it doenst know comes around let the dog socialize when its young, take it to a park and let it near strangers. We used to have a dog that wasnt socialized properly when it was young and became very very agressive toward anyone walking nearby the house or when we went camping. We just about had to have the dog put down (to many close calls with passers) but were lucky and were able to have it sent to a rehabilitation center for Cheasepeakes, and last we knew she turned out great for the next owners.

As far as the choice my parents have always had females, didnt want the males going on everything outside like our neighbors dog does.

For work i go in a lot of peoples homes that have dogs and have never had a problem with a golden retriever or any of the lab breeds. All great tempered dogs, the small ones are the ones to look out for, they have the mindset that they are the size of the big dogs.

Doug N.

Petty Officer 3rd Class

KMK, the problem with the little dogs is that they don't get any discipline and they end being the alpha dog in the family. That's how they get aggressive. A little bit of "I'm in charge here" cures that. We had our dogs (Labs) in an obedience class where a lady thought it was cute that her little mop was turning the big dogs away until we let Annie loose to set her straight. The lady was upset, but the little one knew where she was in the pack after that.

DISCLAIMER: No animals were harmed in the typing of this post.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

also it takes 3-4 years to get a good dog so first 3yrs are always a little rough so you have to hang in there.

I've had several Golden's so far. Current one is a male, but I've had females as well.

Training depends more on the human than the canine. Both sexes will respond well if training is good.

Beware of what bigskiohio said. Very true (at least with Golden's). As my Vet explained, Golden Retriever's wear their "party hats" for 3 or 4 years.