90HP Evinrude Prop Question

bwvick

Recruit
First off, I am a complete rookie when it comes to boats. The boat I have now is new to me and this is my first spring with it. I appreciate folks taking time out of their day to answer questions on these boards and help rookies like myself out.

I have a 1988 Stratos fish and ski with a 90HP Evinrude, the boat has a 4person/570 lb limit.

The current prop is a 14x19 aluminum, not sure on the make.

If I am in the boat by myself with minimum gear (batteries, tank of gas, cooler) the boat performs well, it gets up on plan in good time and I run about 5000 rpm when wide open, don't know speed the speedometer is broken but it is moving as fast as I would feel conformable on the water, I usually throttle it back some and rarely run wide open with just me in the boat.

If I am in the boat with my wife, kid, and gear (getting close to the 570lb limit) the boat really struggles to get on plane even with the weight distributed pretty good from front to back. when it does get on plane i run about 4000 rpm wide open, don't know speed the speedometer is broken. If we are all in the boat I pretty much have to run it wide open to stay up on plane.

I would like to keep my current prop for when I am out fishing or tooling around the lake myself. But think I need to get a smaller pitched prop for cruising with the family and possibly pulling a tube (never tried pulling a tube yet).

What suggestions do you have for getting the boat planed up quicker and not dragging so much with passengers? I was thinking a different prop to start with, but their maybe other things I can do.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90HP Evinrude Prop Question

Sounds like the boat is pretty small can you give us the length width and dry weight?
It seems to me something doesn't add up.Maybe you could borrow a gps and get your top speed with the rpm.

bwvick

Recruit

it is 17' long, 85" beam, and dry weight is 1160. I'll try to borrow a GPS for my next trip.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i dont think you could go wrong with a 13 1/4 x17 p solas or michigan wheel prop for what you want .if you want to have lower planning speeds i liked the solas amita 12 3/4 4 blade aluminium prop.though there are always exceptions id bet that if there are 10,000 90,s running today 9,000 of them are running the 17p props.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I too think you may have a little too much prop.
I like the solas 4 blade as well. Do you trim in a little to help stay on plane with a load?Trim in for hole shot?Do you end up with a couple of people in the seat at the stern say 280 lbs right at the worse spot?

bwvick

Recruit

Thanks for the suggestions.

I do trim all the way in to start with, then once on plane (if I can get there) i trim up a bit. Normally any passenger has to sit up front to even have a chance of planing up and then move back to the passenger seat beside me after we get going.

bwvick

Recruit

Turns out it was not a prop problem after all. had a faulty fuel pump that was letting me down under load. Also had nasty carbs.