85 force-carb bowl

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wanted to check the reeds,and the float on my motor.Took off the under neath bolt,but still cant seem to get the bowl clear,so I can look at things.

I see a spring bouncing around in the bottom of the bowl.
What is that for?
Must of fell off something hu?

Or does it go over the bolt shaft where the bolt mounts up the bowl?

Boy,if I can't get the bowl off,does this spring matter?Mabe it keeps the float balanced or something hu?

How do you check the reeds?
Thanks,
Scotty

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 force-carb bowl

To check the float level setting, you have to remove the carburetor. Carburetor has to be flipped upside down to check the float level.

It's probably the main nozzle spring. Yes it is required. It is held in place by the bolt that you removed. See item 22 below. You may have to take the carburetor(s) off to re-install it.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/1214_40.cfm

To check the reeds you have to remove the carburetors and carburetor intake adapter. You will also probably need new gaskets for the reed valve assy.

NOTE: When you re-install the carbs, you have to perform a link 'N sync. If you don't have a manual, you should get one. It explains all of this.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks,

I will just take the carb off,and reinstall the spring(22) in diaphram.
The link and sinc sounds a little complicated without a manuel,so I will have to get a manuel sometime.

Thanks for the info.
Scotty

cambosoup99

Seaman

that spring goes in the center of the fuel tube it keeps tension on the bolt so it doesnt vibrate loose.

mick97

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok,
Thanks.......
I got it back on with no problems..
Now on to the next problemo...lol

Taking it out tomorrow to see if it runs after i went from 1-1 1/4 on the carb screws.

Once I have it out,I can leave to hood off just to see if things are working right...

Hopefully it was the mixture adjustments as I have tried almose everything else.
Scotty