whole hull covered with spider cracks

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class
so i have an opportunity to pick up a very clean 1995 29' donzi 275 medallion with a merc 454 and i assume a bravo drive for like $3200 bucks. full electronics, water toys, coast guard kit. the whole shebang. owner owes the marina wheres its at sitting blocked still winterized with the drive off like $2200 and is in a bad way financially. he was ready to give the boat to the marina just to get out from under. he knows nothing about boats and he got it from someone who owed him money. i went to look at her today and im a little freaked out that i may be able to land a boat like this for that price. one huge concern though. the entire bottom of the hull from the rub rail down to the bottom paint is dark blue in color and is entirely covered in spider cracks. not long ones in stress areas but just tiny ones but covering the whole hull. looks like the hood of an old car thats been sittin in the sun. now is this just cosmetic? or is the hull trashed? i mean the rest of this boat is mint. full fiberglass construction even in the cabin with snap out carpets and corian countertops in the galley and head. for $3200 even if it needed a repower i think its a deal. but im worried about the cracks. what do you all think?

donzi.jpg

donzi2.jpg

donzi3.jpg

dockwrecker

Lieutenant
Re: whole hull covered with spider cracks

That blue certainly isn't factory Donzi, no telling what they tried to paint it with (or what it's hiding). But that's paint there bucko, not gel.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I would buy that ...bucko...lol :D

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

what has the spider cracks..the paint or the gelcoat...?...either way I would still buy it at that price... :cool:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

.Check to see if its blue paint, or gel coat. Pick at one of the tiny cracks, if its a different color under it, even a slightly different color of blue, its most likely paint.

Best case its paint with poor prep work and that's as deep as it goes, next would be crazed gel coat with paint over it trying to hide the crazing, or just crazed gel coat.

Crazing is typically only skin deep (just in the gel coat), so for the most part its only cosmetic. The down side is that it can be very difficult to fix and not have it return.

The only reliable way to fix it is to completely remove all of the gel coat and re-spray the hull. There are epoxies that claim to bridge the cracks and resist re-cracking, but if it doesn't work you need to start all over again.

If its as you say, in very good condition for $3,200 and you want it, go for it.

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

it has bottom paint but the blue hull between the rubrail and the bottom paint does not feel like paint, but im not sure. the white above the rub rail and the rest of the cockpit, sole and cabin are in great shape. its just the blue area that has the cracks. heck NADA puts it anywhere from 11,000 to 15,000 and there on the web for up to 20 grand. its in better cosmetic shape than my boat that i spent 8,000 for last year. vinyl seats are in great shape as well as all cushions and throw pillows and all that. real porcelain toilet. i cant stop thinkin about her now. i mean $3200???

these are pics i got from a 1995 for sale on the net but looks EXACTLY like this one. including the condition. only thing is they one i want has a real head

11378223_102_120620101151_10.jpg

11378223_102_120620101151_6.jpg

11378223_102_120620101151_7.jpg

11378223_102_120620101151_9.jpg

11378223_102_120620101151_12.jpg

11378223_102_120620101151_8.jpg

JoLin

Vice Admiral

it has bottom paint but the blue hull between the rubrail and the bottom paint does not feel like paint, but im not sure. the white above the rub rail and the rest of the cockpit, sole and cabin are in great shape. its just the blue area that has the cracks. heck NADA puts it anywhere from 11,000 to 15,000 and there on the web for up to 20 grand. its in better cosmetic shape than my boat that i spent 8,000 for last year. vinyl seats are in great shape as well as all cushions and throw pillows and all that. real porcelain toilet. i cant stop thinkin about her now. i mean $3200???

11378223_102_120620101151_10.jpg

Scutly- fall in love AFTER the survey, man. Might be the deal of the century, or an unending heartache. Get 'er checked out by a pro.

Good luck. I'm rooting for ya :)

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

Scutly- fall in love AFTER the survey, man. Might be the deal of the century, or an unending heartache. Get 'er checked out by a pro.

Good luck. I'm rooting for ya :)

somebody should have told me that when i met my wife! HA! just kiddin. but i am a love at first site kinda guy. :D oh! did i mention that there was a mount for a fishfinder and a mount for a gps. and a what looks to be new vhf was still on the boat. this is one of the last things the owner told me on the phone after the price was $3200. "oh and i spent over a grand on electronics that i will leave with the boat as well as the wake board, tubes and tow ropes. i got no need for them"
:eek:

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

make sure it is not for $3200 AND $2200 to the marina.
if you do this deal do it in the marina mgr's office to make sure they do not come to you for payment- Hand the seller $3200 and watch him pay the marina.:cool:
foe $3200 I have a trl and truck to pull it back to Texas!-Good Luck!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Anyone else have a lien on this boat ??? bank, finance company etc ???

bcons

Seaman Apprentice

:eek::eek: AS STATED ABOVE SURVEY!!! :eek::eek:

I'd have one HUGE question, considering the $2200 owed the Marina is probably mostly storage (easily written off) If no major problems, why didn't the Marina offer him the $3200 he wants plus forgive the bill?
The owner could've had a check in an hour.
I know a few marina & car lot owners, I can't immagine there's a single one out there that wouldn't pay $3-$5k for that boat, even in this bad economy, they'd double or triple their money perhaps in as quick as a week on Ebay.
They had a mechanic in her, they winterized it, they pulled the outdrive.
Get it looked at.

From the pics I also agree with an above post the shade of blue looks a bit dark for Donzi????

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

seems like a "too good to be true" deal.

what's the catch?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

no pictures of the engine yet?

i'm hoping you HAVE opened the engine compartment? Might have a surprise waiting for you, like a really expensive sounding echo from that big empty compartment.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I would just buy it and stop thinking about it worse case part it out and get more than that out of it. If you don't decide to buy It I will drive up their and tow it home for that price and proably pay you alittle for finding it.

45Auto

Commander

I'm with Bowtie. If you can get possession and a title for $3200, quit wasting time and do it right now.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

If not, give me the marina address. Those Donzi's seem to fetch good money, or at least seem to be listed for good money.

:D

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

my bet is the owner has a loan on the boat...no clean title.

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

That boat is worth more than $3200 in parts and the accesories you listed.

If something sounds to good to be true it usually is...

But hey, maybe it's your lucky day:D

scutly

Petty Officer 1st Class

tomorrow the boat will be mine. i talked to the owner of the marina today. $1700 is owed to him. when that's paid, he will install the drive that he serviced last fall and start and tune the merc 7.4 he winterized (and said runs strong). then he will launch it for us. at that point if it doesn't sink or blow up, i give the owner another $1500. there is no mechanics lean or any other lean on the title and the deal is goin down in the marina office. i had my two best boatin buddies who've been boatin since birth with me today and when they saw her they pretty much freaked out. the marina owner obviously knows im gettin a once in a lifetime deal but he seems like an ok guy and hes cool about it as long as he gets paid. and he said he stands behind his work no matter who owns the boat. i don't know yet what prior work has been done, but i got the impression that the owner has been payin top dollar to this marina for fixin stuff for two seasons. i asked the marina owner what shes gonna need immediately and he just shook his head and said she dont need nuthin. i guess ill know when we launch her (hopefully on saturday) cause i then have a good long trip upwards of 20 miles to get her home. at that point i gotta sneak her into my town slip and hope nobody notices my boat grew a little. :D thanx everybody for wishin me luck and givin me a little nudge to be this impulsive! if theres interest ill keep you all posted and get some more pics. ok its now 3 AM. i guess ill go toss and turn for a few hours.

J. Howard

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice. Congrats and good luck!