Foam/vinyl ester compatability test

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Today I obtained a small chunk of the "pink" insualtion foam available from Home Depot in 4'x8' sheets 2" thick. It was marked poly styrene foam. When smeared with a generous amount of vinyl ester resin, it was clearly "attacked" and began to dissolve.

So I guess that type of foam is out as a souce of flotation when used with vinyl ester. I don't want to go to epoxy, as I have nearly a full gallon of the vinyl I would like to use up before it starts to self gel.

Any suggestions from the gallery?

Coho Ghost,
up in Washington state

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Foam/vinyl ester compatability test

Cover the foam with thick plastic like a contractor trash bag...... the resin will not penetrate the plastic and as soon as it hardens the foam will be fine.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Bob is right, the heavy plastic bags will protect the styrene foam.

Other solutions I have seen are:

- Paint the foam with latex paint.

- Cover foam with packing tape.

- Apply Contact Paper (depends on the product if it will melt or not)

If you want to glue styrofoam boards together, use the brown Gorilla Glue. Pour an oz or two in a disposable cup, add 6 or 8 drops of water and stir. As soon as it starts to change from brown to honey, you have about 10 seconds to use it before it expands into foam. So pour it out, spread, and attach the foam panels before it expands. Cures in just 20 minutes or so. Works really, really well.

Coho Ghost

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys. Those are great ideas. I'd hate to have $75 worth of resin go bad before I can use it up.

Coho Ghost

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i dont understand...

just let the ve resin go off (cure) then run your foam.....if you are really worried....just add a piece of poly between the foam and the glass substraight.

any resin with styrene will eat foam.
once its cured....your fine.....