oil warning after reinstalling motor

Sides

Cadet
I know there are lots of threads on oil warning system problems, but I can not find an answer I was looking for.

I recently removed my 1995 Mercury 115 hp motor from my boat and have reinstalled after about 2 weeks of hanging (engine was not laying down). Before removing, the oil warning system would beep once when turning switch on and then go off. I have not had the engine running since reinstalling (did it last night and ran out of time), but when I turn the switch on now I get a steady beep, beep, beep.

My question is if there is some procedure I needed to do when reinstalling (bleeding lines, etc) that could be causing this, or maybe a wiring issue? Oil reservior is about 3/4 full.

Thanks

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: oil warning after reinstalling motor

The "oil beeper" does nothing but indicate that oil is in the reservoir. It may be a defective sending unit, stuck float, etc. On my 1995 115 HP, I just got tired of trying to fix the beeping (solution was buy new reservoit/sending unit) and disconnected the wires at the sending unit. I just add oil now whenever I buy a tank of gas.

The real problem for our motors is that if the oil pump drive shaft fails, there will be absolutely no indication of lack of oil until the motor fries, unless you are very lucky.

Sides

Cadet

Thanks. I'm leaning that way. How did you disconnect the oil pump etc, so it stops running?

pops

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My reply was not totally clear. I am still using the auto oil reservoir and just making sure that it always has ample oil in it. I did not want to go to the trouble of disconnecting the oil pump and mixing gas and oil again. So far I haven't had a problem. My service guy says that oil pump failure is not one of the most frequent causes of motor failure, but like I said, if it does happen you get no warning.