Safest way to remove trim assembly while engine is still mounted to the boat

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class
1990 V6 135hp 2-stroke
serial: 0C261104

I read over the service manual on how to remove the trim assembly. It looks like I need to brace the engine in full tilt, remove starboard transom, and support starboard side of engine with c-clamp.

What is the [safest] way to keep the engine lifted all the way while ensuring no problems while removing the transom bracket? Engine hoist?

This thread realates to my previous thread about toubleshooting trim issues. After jumping the motor directly, the problem is definately the trim motor.

Redbird1

Cadet
Re: Safest way to remove trim assembly while engine is still mounted to the boat

I just had me Moror all but off for steering cable replacement. This is what I did....
I had 3 poles that were bolted together at the top pry 12ft long each, 1 set chaifalls and 1 ratchet tie, I just unbolted everything (without the lower unit in it) nad worked for a good ballance on the way up, I need 18 inches and got barely that but it was enough. I got REALLY lucky - someone else had the tripod set up and I just borrowed it.
"if" you are in a garage at home? This is my personal set up. I took a steel pole 2-2 1/2 inches I can not remeber and ran it front to back on the rafters ( offset to the middle of 1 bay - the closer to the outside you are the better) seems like the pole was a 10' length. I took a hole saw and drilled through the ceiling wrapped a chain around the pole (quality tow chain) and I use a 40$ set of come-alongs for the work. This set-up has lifted my PWC and an old fashioned Pontiac 400 very well, there was some creaking in the rafters but.... The set-up really will work for you, add a pair of ratchet tie-downs ( the 20$ per from Wallmart - decent stuff) and you are fully adjustable. I would have done my boat this way inside but I have a 1967 Firebird in the way :)
Dave

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Safest way to remove trim assembly while engine is still mounted to the boat

Interesting solution. If I had rafters I think I would take that route too; I would trust a couple of rafters to hold 400 lbs of weight; they do when the snow falls and melts into ice.

Unfortunately I do not have a garage; I think a detached garage is in order if I ever move again. But anyways, that's why I was thinking about the engine hoist.

Problem is renting an engine hoist is nearly $50 a day around me and at $200 new...

Laddies

Banned

Here's the drawing for the tool it is universal works on the V/6s and inlines.

scan0002.jpg

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm, I had seen the photo of the second picture in my service manual and it told me to do that.

I guess I am just having a problem accepting a little piece of metal would be able to hold almost 400 lbs of weight from the engine. Your photo said use EITHER of the methods, indicating that it would hold...

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Actually the rod doesn't hold 400 lbs, it only holds the downward weight of the motor, since the total weight is of the motor is on the tilt tube.
Neat tool though, if I ever need one thanks Laddies, I would have used the rafter and chain fall too.......:redface:

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually the rod doesn't hold 400 lbs, it only holds the downward weight of the motor, since the total weight is of the motor is on the tilt tube.

Good point.

You know what thought I think this little project is stalled for me to do myself; I can't seem to be able to turn the manual release screw for the trim, and the thread i stick the screw driver in is getting a little worn...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Caps, When I wanted to paint the PTT, I tilted the motor up all the way, locked it up and stuck a piece of 2X lumber under the tilt tube. This allowed me to remove the starboard transom bracket and remove the entire PTT unit. The one bracket can easily hold the weight.

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Chris,

Ok that gives me a bit of confidence thank you.

I guess at this point my problem is being able to turn the manual relief screw; which I cannot seem to do right now.

Also - I can't seem to find the trim motor online, and my boat has one of two designs, I think the design I have is no longer available and a mechanic told me I would have to replace the entire trim unit if that is the case.

any thoughts on that?

capslock118

Petty Officer 1st Class

You I must say:

The mechanic stated that the pump for design two is about $500, the entire unit for deisgn 1 was about $1100; i've confirmed these prices with mercury part's express.

I'm pretty sure from the assembly diagrams on mercury parts express that my engine has design 1.

It doesnt look like iboats has the pump alone for my engine for that design, and $1100 is quite a price.

i.e. i believe it's design s/n: 826729A10
other design is s/n: 878265A6

What do you suggest?

specifically, can't I not retro-fit a different trim/tilt pump design?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You should be able to find an aftermarket PTT motor for $200 or so. Try ARCO. The one for my '93 Merc 135HPV6 fit a lot of Mercs. It came with a hex drive adaptor for my motor. I looked up the number on the internet and bought it locally.