What's a 1970 9.9 Chrysler motor worth?

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1970 9.9 Chrysler motor that on my 14? boat. I?m looking to up grade to a larger boat and motor, and currently have it on CL. I have the whole package on there at 800, but get a lot of requests of people asking to separate the motor from the boat. I can figure out the boat part, but I?m having trouble knowing how much the motor is worth. I tried looking it up on NADA site, but they only go back to 1980. The motor it?s self is in great running shape (starts no problem 1 or 2 pulls every time) but doesn?t have the recoil so I?ve been just starting it with a rope on the flywheel. The part is $100, and from my understanding I need some special tool to install it? How much does a motor like this go for, and should I just fix it before trying to sell it?

Thanks in advance.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's a 1970 9.9 Chrysler motor worth?

$150 ?

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. I was hoping that it wasn't that little. I was thinking that if I put the recoil in that it would boost it up to about 300-400 maybe? I guess it still may be wishful thinking.

huskerdaninva

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's worth what you can sell it for. Not trying to be a smart*****, but it depends upon the individual. Me, personally, I wouldn't go above $50.00-$75.00 IF I needed/wanted her. (But I'm a cheapskate!) Now someone else may have a particular affection for that motor and may be happy to give you $200-$300. (That's why Ebay does the business they do!) Might be if you sell the motor you'll get somewhere in the middle of the two. Just saying...:)

DrWiffel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's worth what you can sell it for. Not trying to be a smart*****, but it depends upon the individual. Me, personally, I wouldn't go above $50.00-$75.00 IF I needed/wanted her. (But I'm a cheapskate!) Now someone else may have a particular affection for that motor and may be happy to give you $200-$300. (That's why Ebay does the business they do!) Might be if you sell the motor you'll get somewhere in the middle of the two. Just saying...:)

Okay smart*** ;):D (Just Kidding) I do see your point, I was just hoping to not give it away. I guess if it all fails, I'll keep it, as I said before, it's a great running motor.