New Member, New Boat...Well New To Me

Michael_84

Cadet
I have several jobs...one of them is window and door installation in the Joliet, Illinois area. Well, while on a job in Channahon, I happened to look behind the home-owners garage and spotted a 1973 Starcraft 18' open-bow w/115hp Evinrude. The trailer seemed OK so I asked the guy what was up w/it. He said it didn't run so he parked it. I asked if he'd sell it and he said $300.00. I just went and picked it up. I absolutely love it. I have a ton of experience w/boats so I figured i would dive into this one. He had already replaced the transom and the floor-boards. The engine turns over, it is also a '73, and I get spark to 2 or 3 of the 4 cylinders. it did fire intermittently. I need to buy a gas tank and a proper Battery for further tests...LOL I took the little battery out of one of the Porsches.

Any tips for a "Starcraft Newb"

bananaboater

Ensign
Re: New Member, New Boat...Well New To Me

Welcome, post some pics soon. Did you tow the boat home with one of the Porches?

Michael_84

Cadet

LOL...No they do not have a hitch though there is one available....
I have found that only #2 cylinder gets spark. I switched wires around on the Power Pack and what ever goes in the #2 spot fires the others do not. I think that is where I will start. Any good places to find a Power-pack cheap?

I'll get picks up soon.
Thanks

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to iboats!! Is that Starcraft fiberglass or aluminum? Sounds like a fun project! As always...we love pix!! Bring 'em on! Gud luck!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to Iboats!

I myself am just starting the restoration of a 21' starcraft!

Post the pics, we would love to see them!

Michael_84

Cadet

It's alum...I will get Pics

What should the Fuel/oil Mix be....40:1?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats!!

You stole that Starcraft :eek: What a great deal for a very sought after boat. People here would commit murder to get that hull!! :D

Let's see pic's of the boat and the 73 115 is pretty strait-forward for trouble shooting.

Post a question in the Johnson & Evinrude section http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24 I would check the compression first;) then move onto getting a flywheel puller and clean the points <<<<----HINT HINT

Welcome to the Starcraft club!! :D

Michael_84

Cadet

Here are the Pics

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0573.jpg
    IMG_0573.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

Michael_84

Cadet

There is another one in Spring Hill Fl. on Ebay right now. Looks to be very nice, $900.00.

I would like to find the bimni tops and covers for it....all down the road. Once it is runing I will paint it...after the leak test...LOL

Stykbowhntr

Seaman

That is one nice looking boat. I'm restoring a '59 Lone Star aluminum, but after seeing all of the Starcrafts on here, if the right one came along......

Keep us posted on your progress.

Andy in NY

Commander

i think im going to vomit. 300 bucks for an 18' ss WITH a 115?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

good deal for you though. she looks like shes in pretty decent shape!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome to the Starcraft armada:)

That is one heck of a deal you got. That 115hp should be a good size OB for that rig if she's got compression. Hope you can get her going.

For $300 you got a deal even if the boat leaks, trialer falls apart and the OB never runs again. Parting out the 'Rude would pay for the entire purchase if compression is bad.

Good luck with her!

swannytheswan

Seaman Apprentice

I'm pretty new on here as well and kinda new to boats but...What is so great about the starcrafts that makes ya'll go batty...I just wanna know cuz I"m curious.

bananaboater

Ensign

They were made well, especially the aluminum ones, they perform well, there are numerous styles, there are a lot out there to buy, they are inexpensive, there are a lot of folks here to provide help, and others will chime in with other attributes to owning Starcraft boats.

Michael_84

Cadet

50-1, 1 pint to 6 gallons
Thanks...

I hope to work on her some more Saturday morning, does anyone know what I should pay for a power-pack? It's looking like a hundred bucks or so. I am so used to porsche parts and the way you can pay 3 times as much for an inferior part, if not from the right supplier.....with Porsches I "self Edjucated", I plan to seek more advice this time....LOL

Andy in NY

Commander

I'm pretty new on here as well and kinda new to boats but...What is so great about the starcrafts that makes ya'll go batty...I just wanna know cuz I"m curious.

i will NEVER go back to a glass hull again. you litterally can replace the deck and transom in a few hours on a weekend and have a stronger product than from the factory.

bump into a rock? no worries about fiberglass cracking.

weight... 4 adults can pick up a fully dressed hull (at least my 16 footer anyways)

i didnt know anything about tinnys before buying mine, and like i said, i will never go back now.

plus if it ever gets to the point where you decide to scrap the hull... no cutting it up and hauling it off to the landfill... someone will PAY YOU to take it!!

Thanks...

I hope to work on her some more Saturday morning, does anyone know what I should pay for a power-pack? It's looking like a hundred bucks or so. I am so used to porsche parts and the way you can pay 3 times as much for an inferior part, if not from the right supplier.....with Porsches I "self Edjucated", I plan to seek more advice this time....LOL

$100-$150 is about right...

Michael_84

Cadet

Thanks, I'll start to shop for the best price....

Michael_84

Cadet

Is there any way to repair the Power-Pack?....is it just a bunch of links or is there circuitry inside....Like a primitive CPU?

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

The first money you spend on your motor should be a manual for it!!! It'll pay for itself within 2 repairs & knowing what you should check will save having to make more repairs. They sell them on this site I think.