New Water Pump Not Pumping

JAPK

Cadet
I have a 1975 Evinrude 6hp.I installed a new water pump kit in it.I made sure the vanes all are faceing the right way..Put in test tank no water is comming out and motor is getting hot..I blow out the block from the pick up tube in the ex housing and it blow threw fine. Do I have a blockage some where or what what amd I missing???I have put in water pumps in 9.9's old 5.5's and old 15's with no troubles but now this..Please help..

Oh I did put in a new key for it to..And I made sure it was in there.

Thanks
JAPK

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Water Pump Not Pumping

Well, I don't have Xray vision, but here are a few possibilities:
a) pump not assembled correctly
b) you missed the pump outlet with the water tube
c) the grommet in the pump outlet got folded over during final assembly
d) incorrect parts used
e) pump body not well sealed to wear plate
f) pump housing or wear plate scored (if complete kit not installed)
g) pump vent hole plugged
h) water not deep enough for the pump to do its thing

The vanes make no difference ... if you install them incorrectly oriented, they will flip to the correct position upon rotation.

Your choice.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

How did the impeller fit? Many 6 HP pumps were upgraded to a different pump that worked better than the original. They don't use the same impeller.

JAPK

Cadet

water pump is assembled correctly,made sure the pump outlet with the water tube, I checked to see if the grommet in the pump outlet got folded it is not, and it was a hole new pump kit in stalled every new vanes,housing, plate and gasket Plus the water is 1/2 way up the ex housing.

JAPK

Cadet
Re: New Water Pump Not Pumping

never checked that..Still open to other Ideas before I take off the lower end.

JAPK

Cadet

Found the problem the intake screen was full of muck and sand. cleaned it out check the pump over again put it back together..Now it pumps like it should..Thanks for all the replies..

JAPK

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Found the problem the intake screen was full of muck and sand. cleaned it out check the pump over again put it back together..Now it pumps like it should..Thanks for all the replies..

JAPK

That was easy !!!!:)