Evenrude Lightwin 3hp 3012-16366 maybe a 1959?

Tom59Cad

Recruit
Hi:
I just picked up the above lightwin at a flea market.
It started after adding new fuel, but there is not any apparent water coming out a weep hole. I noticed a little cut out area in the housing that said water flush and there is a screw slot plug that appears to have been removed in the past.
I observed no weep hole for a stream. Should I loosen or remove this plug to see if this is pumping water. I have the motor in a barrel with the water well up on the down tube as deep as just a few inches below the power head.
Thanks much for any assistance.
I would maybe purchase a manual later, does it require the J4C plugs as was mentioned for the other poster. Also what is the required mix. I mixed up about a 1/2 gallon of premium alcohol free gas with 16/1 ratio of some Pure Oil Outboard motor oil that I had on the shelf for the last 30 plus years. I use it in my Martin 45.
What year is this? maybe a 59 like my old aluminum 59 14' Cadillac boat??
If I need a water pump how would I go about it.
This is my first attempt at a post as I imagine you guessed.
Thanks Again.
Tom
Askov, MN

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Evenrude Lightwin 3hp 3012-16366 maybe a 1959?

3 1952 - 1954 3012

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is no pee hole. Note the small holes about half way down the leg. Water droplets should blow out there, along with some exhaust. Of coures you can't see them because you have it so deep in the water.

The flushing plug is exactly what it says it is--a port for flushing the motor with fresh water after using it in salt. Otherwise, leave the plug in.

Tom59Cad

Recruit

Thanks you was correct, I lowered the water in the barrell a few inches and there was the mist, water, exhaust coming out as you said.
The writing is all very ledgible on this motor.
Left Side: Operating Instructions;
* open fuel cap air vent
* open fuel valve
* place control lever to start
* pull out choke
* Pull starter
* after motor starts
push in choke
* advance control lever

* to check spark plugs
remove this cover

Right Side: Oiling Instructions
mix 1/2 pint mobiloil
outboard to each gallon
of gasoline.

for gearcase use only
Mobilube GX-90 (Hypoid)

maybe someone else is interested at least I got the mix correct a 16/1
I gave the guy $30 for the motor and I said if it ran like new as he said I would give him another $20.
Today I went back and gave him the 20.
I'am Happy.
Thanks much again for all your help.
Tom