Changed My Bearing

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well after reading this board, probably a little too much, I decided to change my wheel bearings before making the 400+ mile drive to North Michigan. Mind you I have never done this before. You guys convinced me I could do it and it's not that hard. Well I did one side and it took me most of the day.

First I got the outer bearing and the hub off the spindle pretty easy. But could not figure out how to get the rear seal out of the hub. So I go to Advance Auto with all my old parts and the hub. They said basically just knock it out any way I can and also I should replace the races. Took it back home and beat the crap out of it with a hammer and an old screwdriver. I got the two races and the rear seal out.

I then went to the Delaware Marine to get some more of the grease I already had, but they didn't have the same brand. But their rear seal looked different than the ones at Advance Auto. The guys were really helpful, but were not sure the seals they were selling me were the right size, but the Marine store had ones that looked just like the one I took out. Advance said go back and get those and gave me a refund for the ones I got there. So back to Delaware I go to buy the rear seals, but I kept the bearings I got from advance even though they cost a good bit more than the ones at the Marine store.

I get home and start putting things back together and there is no way in hell that rear race it going to fit in the hub. So I go back to Advance and get a refund for everything I bought there and head back to Delaware to buy everything from them. I get home and it's the same thing no way the race they gave me is going into my hub. So I said heck with it and used the old rear race. I got everything else new and everything is packed good.

By the way pretty sure there was nothing wrong with the bearings that were in there to begin with. Going to do the other side tomorrow. It should go much easier, and I'm not even going to take the rear race out.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Changed My Bearing

Try putting the race in the freezer for an hour or so then try and install it. Then use the old race to tap in the new one.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

It would not go no matter what, you could see where it was just a little bigger, but it was the only that was called or to go with the bearings I go. The bearings were the exact same as the ones that came out.

I did the other side today in about 45 minutes and was out on the boat by 10:30. I did not bother doing the races on the other side. They looked perfect as did the bearings to be honest, but the grease looked really black so they needed repacked at least. Towing it for 800 miles, and I feel much better now knowing they are knew and packed.

Fed

Commander

Sorry Jim but I think you should get a mechanic to put new bearings & seals on your trailer before you go on your trip.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

No way Fed! haha

I might take forever to get something done, but it's done right and I am confident in my work. By the way my son in law is a mechanic and he also thinks I do fine work. We rebuilt the engine in one of my Volvos together so he knows my limitations, and changing bearings is not that hard. I spent too much time on the first one mainly because of not wanting to screw up and going to and from the auto parts store and the marina.

45Auto

Commander

You may want to think about changing those old tires on your trailer. Tires are generally considered to have a life of 6 years in hot states and 10 years in cold states no matter how they're stored or used.

Articl from the National Safety Bunch:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=4988605&page=1

The age of the tire can be determined by checking the identification number on the sidewall that begins with the letters "DOT". The last four digits represent the week and year the tire was manufactured.
Some tire and vehicle manufacturers have issued recommendations for replacing tires that range from six to ten years of age. Consumers are advised to check with their tire or vehicle manufacturer for specific guidance.

"Remember that it is vitally important to check your spare tire too," said Administrator Nason. "Your spare can be a real safety hazard if it is old or under-inflated."

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just checked my tires and there is nothing that translates to week and year after the DOT number. I have a spare, so I'm going to go with them. I am buying a small jack to take with me though just in case and plenty of tools. Figure if I'm over prepared nothing will go wrong, but if I'm not prepared something will go wrong.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I might take forever to get something done, but it's done right and I am confident in my work.
You always replace the races when you replace the bearings. Sorry...not done right yet!

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's kind of strange, but when I bought the sets at the marina the rear seal that came with set was too big for my hub, so the guy, who knew what he was doing, went in the back and came out with another seal that looked just like the one I had taken out. Seals were only $2.80 each.

Then he took the bearings out of the package and all the numbers on the bearing and the outer race matched, but not the ones on the inner race. He said he was concerned, but that's the only one he has and that's what it calls for and it looks like the one I took out might not be the right one. But he also wasn't sure the one in the set was going to fit. He is actually the one who said the one I took out looks fine and put it back in if the new one won't go.

The fact that the rear seal and the race were too big for my hub is kind of strange don't you think?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, or another location where you can get one, buy an infrared temperature gauge so you can monitor the temperature of your hubs and tires.

Check your hubs at each stop for variations in temperature. It will act as a warning system for impending failure.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

All you need to do is to knock out the races you have and get the numbers off of them.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just ordered Maxxis trailer tires from Gripston Tires. I have to quit reading this board, it's costing me a lot of money!

45Auto

Commander

You did good, Jim!

Just another of the costs of boating if you want to do it safely. That Crownline is too nice of a boat to risk losing it on a blown 10 year old tire, not to even mention how easily it could put you in the ditch. I had a tire blow on an empty little 4x8 utility trailer once that jerked my car completely back and forth across the road at a 45 degree angle 3 or 4 times before I could get it under control. I was just lucky there was no one in the other lane.