Fuel Problems??

antsir

Cadet
I have a 2008 Four Winns H200 SS with a 5.0 Volvo Engine with 51 hours. I just had the oil and filter changed, fuel filter replaced, impeller replaced and outdrive lube changed.

Today my wife and I headed out on the lake and we were idling through the no wake zone and when I got on the throttle the boat died. I would start it up and then it would die again. I had to get a tow back in and the only way I could keep it running was by holding the key on start and giving it gas. Had to do it to get it back on the trailer.

I did hear a slight whinning noise coming from the engine compartment. The noise was coming from a cylinder next to the fuel filter (not sure what it is called). The boat has always run perfect until I had this maintenance done. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anthony

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel Problems??

What is the full model number or SN of your engine.

antsir

Cadet

Thanks Don. The Engine model is 5.0 GXI-J and the Serial Number is 4012225600.

I was looking around the fuel filter and noticed that an electrical connector was NOT connected to what I think is the fuel pump. I think this was my problem but I'm still not 100% sure. Do you think this was the problem?

Thanks again.

Don S

Post a picture of the connector.

antsir

Cadet

Attached are 4 photos:

1st photo: Top view of what I think is the fuel pump or coil and fuel filter
2nd photo: Side view of the connector that was disconnected
3rd photo: another top view, the connector shown is NOT the one that was disconnected
4th photo: another side view

thanks.

Attachments

• Boat1.jpg
    Boat1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Boat3.jpg
    Boat3.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 0

Don S

In your second, and last picture, it shows the low pressure pump connector attached to the fuel pump. Looks normal. The 3rd picture shows the high pressure fuel pump connector attached to the high pressure fuel pump.
Yeah, you have 2 fuel pumps.
The fact that the ECM is allowing the fuel pumps to run during cranking and not during running means you could have a sensor or wiring problem. You really need to get it hooked up to a diagnostic computer and finding out if any DTC's have been set for the fuel pump relays. There are several different ones.

antsir

Cadet

Thanks for the input. It ran great on Monday and then on Friday I had maintenance done on it, including the fuel filter. So I'm assuming that when the fuel filter was changed the connector was accidently disconected since they are so close together. So you don't think reconnecting this will make it run right again?

Don S

So you don't think reconnecting this will make it run right again?

So, are you saying the connector in picture 2 and 4 was off. Then you put it back on for the pictures?
If that's the case, then start it up and find out.

antsir

Cadet

Yes that is correct..I re-connected it. I hooked the water up to it and it started with it plugged in and with it disconnected. But if it was disconnected would it cause the problems I was having?

Don S

Yes, it's the low pressure pump. It feeds gas to the high pressure pump.
Plug it in and run it and see.

antsir

Cadet

Thanks Don. I guess the only test and putting it back in the water. I just hope I don't get stranded again.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yes that is correct..I re-connected it. I hooked the water up to it and it started with it plugged in and with it disconnected. But if it was disconnected would it cause the problems I was having?

Can you not leave it connected, back on the hose and see if she throttles up past idle? Just don't over rev her while only on the hose..

Don S

Kev, the problem is, the high pressure pump may pull enough fuel to run at idle, just not under load at higher rpm.
A friend with a chase boat, or an anchor and cell phone or a VHF would be a good thing to take with you.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ahhhhhhh..

Thats why you are the man Don S..

Wouldn't need much of a "chase" boat...lol